Some of us make our living from knowing about these things. :wink:
Looking for help

Re: Uni fees - student loan costs

Post by Looking for help »

The irony in my post was lost on you though :lol:
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

hermanmunster wrote:... and the amazing deeds of covenant weeze - anyone remember that?
I remember that! Once I turned 18 it subsidised my school fees :D ! And provided useful surplus funds at university too. Would I advocate a return to it? Yes! On the basis that only the intelligent (and thereby the deserving in the context of higher education) would know how to benefit.

...and I think international students are all very well (my brother-in-law is in China at the moment on a recruitment drive) as long as not too many of them choose to stay...
Loopy
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Kesteven - and HOW do you justify them being charged interest at such a high level from day one!

There was too little time for parents to prepare for the £9000 which is a huge hike from £3000 ...
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Guest55 wrote:Kesteven - and HOW do you justify them being charged interest at such a high level from day one!

There was too little time for parents to prepare for the £9000 which is a huge hike from £3000 ...
Totally with you on this one, G55. The bit that worries me the most is the paragraph in the small print that states that the repayment arrangements can change at any time as a result of changes in legislation. Who has the power to change legislation? The UK government - which, as we all know, is the same body that finances the loan. A lot can happen in 30 years.

:evil:
Marylou
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think quite a few of us are becoming wary of the "can change at any time " from the government, I have just voted about strike action for the first time in my life - I really can't believe it has come to this.

The students may find themselves paying back more or having to pay it back faster or the "30 year rule" being abolished....
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Entirely agree. Who in their right minds would dream of handing a government such a blank cheque? They get away with it because the people voting for it are not the people who will pay for it. Although the people who've voted for it will, IMHO, come to deeply regret it in 20 years when they need a doctor/dentist/teacher/lawyer.

Mike
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

mike1880 wrote:Who in their right minds would dream of handing a government such a blank cheque?
Most people don't have any choice. :( As for voting for it, nobody in this country (apart from the MPs) consciously voted for this particular change as we certainly didn't know about the swingeing proposals before the election, and the change was forced through with indecent speed shortly after the election... :roll:
Marylou
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

mike1880 wrote: Although the people who've voted for it will, IMHO, come to deeply regret it in 20 years when they need a doctor/dentist/teacher/lawyer.

Mike
I believe this to be true also.

My daughter is off to study English next year (fingers tightly crossed) .....but just the last few weeks she has been saying she doesn't think it is worth it any more.

She has a true love for the written word, loves to read, and can write so expressively, yet it would appear that this is just a waste of time and a waste of money. Ho hum :shock:
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Looking for help wrote: My daughter is off to study English next year (fingers tightly crossed) .....but just the last few weeks she has been saying she doesn't think it is worth it any more.

She has a true love for the written word, loves to read, and can write so expressively, yet it would appear that this is just a waste of time and a waste of money. Ho hum :shock:
NOOOO - she mustn't be put off especially as a good degree in English could open up so many career opportunities.

Besides, we may need doctors, engineers etc. for our physical survival, but our souls wouldn't last long without writers, artists, musicians, and all creative people who make life worthwhile.
Marylou