What do you take to Uni?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Fran17

Re: What do you take to Uni?

Post by Fran17 »

hermanmunster wrote:bin bags, bandages, sheets, curtains, wrapping paper, duvet cover (pref old) .... hang on, an american idea

http://www.thecampuscompanion.com/party ... hes-party/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you Herman. I think he has his 'outfit' sorted out but I will show him this just in case.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Looking for help wrote:A question about doctors.....My daughter has asthma and will need to sign up with a doctor, but more often than not any periods of crisis will be at Christmas or the early part of the summer when she is probably at home form university. Does she need to register with a GP at uni, and therefore deregister from the GP at home or can she be a patient at 2 surgeries at the same time ?

Hi LFH - recurrent problem!!!
the Unis like them to register with a local practice in case they have problems so that deregisters them at their home practice - however if they are unwell ANYWHERE and especially at home they can register as a temporary resident at the local (home practice) during the hols.
we have loads doing this each year - they are registered elsewhere but prefer to come and chat / see local doctor they know - we can prescribe and refer in emergency but not make a referral routinely to hospital via choose and book because computer says NO :shock:

PS in answer to last bit of your post - they can't be registered in 2 places at once (at present anyway ... watch this space)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Fran17 wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:bin bags, bandages, sheets, curtains, wrapping paper, duvet cover (pref old) .... hang on, an american idea

http://www.thecampuscompanion.com/party ... hes-party/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you Herman. I think he has his 'outfit' sorted out but I will show him this just in case.
I am relieved ... but will ask no further questions :lol: :lol:
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Thank you, Herman...that is what my son did, I just wondered if it could be a case of remaining with our GP .
Hopefully she will be fine, anyway.

She has had no word of any themes for her freshers week and looked at me as if I was mad for even suggesting it :oops:
marigold

Post by marigold »

My daughter received an email saying that the first freshers "do " was a pyjama party. She said she is mightily relieved that we are taking her down on the day after this one as she would rather die than go anywhere in her pyjamas. Feeling secretly very proud that she has inherited my horror of such things.

I have just done the tuna/pasta/rice/noodle/baked bean shop and tomorrow we are going for the soy sauce/herbs and spices/olive oil one. I don't drive so we have to walk to the supermarket with my flowery old lady's trolley, her 10 steps behind and in dark glasses.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

have discovered this week that such events can be totally avoided but those who are not interested in taking part.

Apparently you meet such like minded people EARLY at breakfast the next day
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

hermanmunster wrote:have discovered this week that such events can be totally avoided but those who are not interested in taking part.

Apparently you meet such like minded people EARLY at breakfast the next day
That is a relief. I will tell him. DS got the impression that everyone just went along with it.

LFH - I think your DD is lucky not to have such themes. My DS has a whole list of different themes for each night. :o
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

marigold wrote:I have just done the tuna/pasta/rice/noodle/baked bean shop and tomorrow we are going for the soy sauce/herbs and spices/olive oil one. I don't drive so we have to walk to the supermarket with my flowery old lady's trolley, her 10 steps behind and in dark glasses.
Somehow I missed your post Marigold. I have one of those shopping trolleys. Mine refuse to come out with me when I use it. They lovingly refer to it as an old lady bag. :lol: I did actually suggest to DS1 that we could use it to transport his belongings from the car to his Halls of Residence. :shock: :lol:
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Fran, At your DS's (and my DD's :wink: ) uni they have an army of kind helpers with shopping trolleys that move everyone in! :D
About five people shifted a car load in 10 mins to DD's room!
Take a flask of tea, chill, and let them get on with it! :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I bought an alarm clock for my DC - the alarm gets louder and louder and louder and .... :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now