parents declaring their degeers for uni

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moose

parents declaring their degeers for uni

Post by moose »

Marx is smiling in his grave. Or more like Stalin. Are you?
I am not. Every step Mr B. takes in order to 'improve' education seems to be depressing the system even more. I am arleady thinking (kid in y5 how to hide = to be ashamed of my degree. What a b.....!
SJ355 , You are one of the very few 'unpoliticaly' correct=normal voices on this forum. Pleasure to read your comments!
That's 1984!!!
chad

Post by chad »

Social engineering at its worst.... Why do uni admissions neeed to know this? Yes good comprehensives can get results and turn out excellent uni candidates but they are the ones that stream for all academic subjects.... like grammars/uppers just on the same site. Unfortunately trying to have a 'one size fits all' education, with all abilities in the same classroom - with the curriculum targeted at the middle section of the class, leaves the lower ability to struggle while the highest ability get bored and demotivated. To then say because they come from a 'deprived' school or background they should have more help to enter uni is abysmal. The state education system should be able to give all children the chance to reach their full potential whatever that may be.
And as for 'birth to 3' target setting... well .... dont get me started.... nanny state, ticking check boxes for OfSted, no concept of the difference in development as such an early age, encouraging comparison, .......
mutter, mutter , mutter :twisted:
ThursdaysGirl

Re: parents declaring their degeers for uni

Post by ThursdaysGirl »

moose wrote:Marx is smiling in his grave. Or more like Stalin. Are you?
I am not. Every step Mr B. takes in order to 'improve' education seems to be depressing the system even more. I am arleady thinking (kid in y5 how to hide = to be ashamed of my degree. What a b.....!
I giggled lots at the above. I do know where you are coming from in a crazy sort of way, as I believe this whole, 'Parental' knowing, where you are from, kind of thing is pure rubbish. I'm afraid that it will have an adverse affect and should a university gain way too much knowledge of an individual’s background, they will forget the, 'Person' and allocate incorrectly. I also do not for one moment trust or believe it is about giving disadvantaged children a better chance... even I am not that naive.

Life scares me at times and I am 43, imagine how freaked children much feel at times.

'Too much information can be a dangerous thing.'

...and how long before this branding, filters down, with prejudice, throughout all school learning? The elite become hand picked and decided on, whatever fits?

They are individuals who stand and fall by their own ability, not parental levels attained.
Thursdays Girl. :)
One World, One People, US!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hiya
yes spent yesterday trying to work out how to hide our 8 degrees and filling in application form for job not requiring a degree :wink: - just one more reason to resign from the NHS

On second thoughts could tell the kids to deny knowing who we are when they come to fill in the application form.... :lol:

Post by Guest »

My two univerisy attending, privately schooled children would have been able to say thier parents had no degree. My youngest in a community school cannot, as her father graduated last year. Hmmm. It doesn't add up.
Guest1663

Post by Guest1663 »

Imagine applying for a job (as opposed to a university course) and being asked to supply this information...
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

Times Newspaper Cartoon TODAY:

Dad to son trotting off to join University application queue:
"Remember, I'm a plumber and your mum is a school dinner lady!"

university admissions

Post by Guest »

For our older son we put office worker for his dad (who is a solicitor but does work in an office), but this was last year and I think the info must have just been for statistics rather than for the admissions tutor. We were wondering today who will be held responsible for any misrepresentations on the form, as clearly the child will be completing it on line, and surely cannot be expected to know what did or didn't happen before he was born. In fact it transpired when we were discussing it that my younger son who is 16 didn't even know I did have a degree. Will the government have to create a new criminal offence - that of lying on your child's UCAS form? :shock: At the moment the young person himself is accountable for the truthfulness of what he writes and the school for their reference.
Kent Mum

Post by Kent Mum »

So looking forward to having this conversation in a few years time....

"Mum, why did you go to university?"

"Partly so that I could use my education in the future to benefit my children"

"Well, you stuffed that one up, didn't you Mum?"
Of course I'm out of my mind! It's dark and scary in there!!!!

Post by Guest »

.....so should I stop doing my MSc now........!