Anyone looked at studying in Europe?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: Anyone looked at studying in Europe?

Post by Amber »

JaneEyre wrote: I have no idea how I will manage to make him see more clearly and be down-to-earth.
How do you know he isn't seeing clearly now? We have had the same thing here but unlike you it has made me really proud and happy - and yes the move is 'downwards' in prestige and status. It is, however, 'upwards' in terms of happiness and 'fit' and has led to a very much more settled and confident DC. Let him be JE and don't try to 'make him see' things from your point of view. This is his life. :)
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Amber wrote:How do you know he isn't seeing clearly now? We have had the same thing here but unlike you it has made me really proud and happy - and yes the move is 'downwards' in prestige and status. It is, however, 'upwards' in terms of happiness and 'fit' and has led to a very much more settled and confident DC. Let him be JE and don't try to 'make him see' things from your point of view. This is his life. :)
Of course, it is his life... and actually, I am supporting his research and desires as I have been to some open days at university in order to know more about the A levels he should choose if he is still thinking in the same way in a few months’ time ( he was not coming with me as he is only in year 10. he will do that in one year though, or he will go by himself). :D

My fears do not concern status but rate of employability! :(

But thank you for your kind advice... :D I am fully aware children have a mind of their own... I will support him in his research, but I hope he will also be logical and aware of his own limits and capacities. For example, he recently declared to me he wants to do Arabic A levels when he does not even have his GCSE :lol: :lol: . He used to be at pre-GCSE level 4 years ago, but he has stopped to study Arabic for several years and - as you know very well - when you do not practise a language, your standards in it slump dramatically. He must have forgotten all about conjugation, declension, etc as for his listening skills, they must be pretty low now... Frankly, I do not see him starting back his Arabic studies when there is so much pressure due to the linear course at GCSE level and an increased curriculum (only maths and English at the moment)! :roll:
However, in my endeavour to be a supportive mum :wink: , I have told him to study regularly a book with CD (linked to GCSE) during the summer and we will see his level end of August! Maybe at last, he will realise by himself that he cannot reasonably dream to sit his Arabic GCSE or A level in any time very soon. If only he could just concentrate on his German and French! :roll:
Amber

Post by Amber »

JaneEyre wrote:For example, he recently declared to me he wants to do Arabic A levels when he does not even have his GCSE .
Wow! Good for him. I would also like to do Arabic A level even though I don't have a GCSE. It is perfectly possible for a bright person with a linguistic mind to do this - if he does languages at university for example he can get beyond A level in one year on a subsidiary course with about 5 hours of lessons a week (I know because I did it in two languages). How wonderful to have such an ambitious boy with a love of languages.
My fears do not concern status but rate of employability! :(
Well firstly if he does get Arabic I think he will be highly employable. In fact as a multilingual person, even without Arabic, he will also have skills which are gradually disappearing from our employment market and will do so much faster post-Brexit I imagine, as there will be even less incentive for English people to learn languages. Secondly, you don't know what the future holds. Some 'dead cert' jobs now are likely to disappear. No one knows what is going to happen to our economy. Thirdly, and finally, a happy person will do better at work than someone who has followed the wrong career path. Life evolves. And if he is only 15 now he has a fair amount of evolving still to do! This time next year he might want to do something else entirely. And why not?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Some very excellent comments. DC is intent on choosing a strange mix of subjects. But he is happy, so am I ( as long as he is doing well in Maths, English and all sciences).
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

tiffinboys wrote: as long as he is doing well in Maths, English and all sciences).

That is precisely my opinion! Of course, I do not wish turn him off from Arabic, but I just see it as an extra that I am not sure he has the time nor the physical strength to do as I do not believe in lack of sleep.
I have let him experiencing lack of sleep this year precisely because I let him do mistakes in order for him to learn what is right and what is wrong in term of working/studying habits. :wink: And I have been extremely happy during the last parent’s evening when some teachers told him that he needs to sleep enough. :D It is great when some teachers 'help' drive home some concepts that teenagers' parents repeat till they have no more voice. :roll:
Amber wrote: And if he is only 15 now he has a fair amount of evolving still to do! This time next year he might want to do something else entirely. And why not?
This is precisely what I hope for! :lol:
um

Post by um »

I thought I might revive this thread as I've been researching (given the possible increase in Uni fees over the next few years :( ) European Universities.

Germany offers a number of English language courses and their degrees are all free - PHDs are funded too.

The Netherlands have more English language courses on offer and charge a small amount - minimal compared to the UK.

I'm trying to persuade ds2 , who wants to do engineering, to seriously consider a degree in Germany.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

um wrote: I'm trying to persuade ds2 , who wants to do engineering, to seriously consider a degree in Germany.
When you get to the application is it worth looking at the process - we were looking at Freiburg and from memory they opened the applications in July and closed in very early August with offers mid September - however you had to have all the qualifications by then ie no good if still waiting for A level results. We tried to discuss this with them but somehow they didn't get it or want to get it, so that was off the list Didn't fancy kids getting A level results and then having to waiting over a year to see if they had a place.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

hermanmunster wrote:
um wrote: I'm trying to persuade ds2 , who wants to do engineering, to seriously consider a degree in Germany.
When you get to the application is it worth looking at the process - we were looking at Freiburg and from memory they opened the applications in July and closed in very early August with offers mid September - however you had to have all the qualifications by then ie no good if still waiting for A level results. We tried to discuss this with them but somehow they didn't get it or want to get it, so that was off the list Didn't fancy kids getting A level results and then having to waiting over a year to see if they had a place.
I'd also check with the relevant engineering institution about degree accreditation. Otherwise he might have extra hurdles to get over when he tries to get chartered later. I don't know how they view European degrees. He *should* be ok, but best to check.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

hermanmunster wrote:
This is where the IB puts you at an advantage. I have a friend whose DD is waiting to hear from a German University with her IB results. She has a Gap year planned if she is not successful.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If one didn't want a gap year, though, would one apply for, accept - and then drop at the very last minute - a place at a home university? Are the application systems the same (as the German one) in the other countries which one might be considering as an alternative to ours?

Not that either of our remaining 'possible future university entrants' would be very likely to want to go abroad for their whole degree course, I suspect, except perhaps DD as one day 'this week's big plans' :roll:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now