Anyone looked at studying in Europe?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
RedVelvet

Re: Anyone looked at studying in Europe?

Post by RedVelvet »

I really want to bookmark this thread somehow.

Although I may wait until after Thursday.

Thanks to all.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

KB wrote:Weirdly, I overheard a (very loud!) conversation about this. Only point I actually picked up was that the person had received a surprisingly low grade offer.
According to the University of Utrecht website, AAB is acceptable - would this be considered 'low'?

RedVelvet - look up at to your left and you will see 'Bookmark topic' :)
Last edited by ToadMum on Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I have heard of lower offers @ UCU but they are also pretty on other things eg experience / motivation - I think phone interviews were mentioned too.
Some people find having to live on the college campus for the whole 3 year a bit of an offput - others like the idea of not having to find accommodation (which can be in short supply in Utrecht)
KB

Post by KB »

If pushed I think the person said CCC but I really was trying not to listen! One of those cases where you are sat by yourself next to a loud conversation with nothing to distract you and sticking of fingers in ears seems more rude than overhearing.....
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

ToadMum wrote:
RedVelvet - look up at to your left and you will see 'Bookmark topic' :)
Well I never! Thank you. :)
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Re: Grades required. There is a thread on TSR that says

"(Original post by munwaiwurm)
Does anyone know what grades you need to get into Maastricht University because on the website it says 2 A levels A* to E? This is surely wrong.

Nope .......it is actually right .......they are bound by some treaty to take the minimal requirements with which you can get access to university in the uk (any course that is) which is two E's at A-level."

Another post:
"I want to study European Law, what are the requirements?

Reply: Two Es ......."

I think the application system is different so they might require just 2Es but you would probably be expected to get more. It sounds like the old Oxford offers of 2Es many moons ago. I cannot see anyone being accepted onto a Medicine course who is predicted 2E, probably 4A* to get a 2E offer.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Blitz wrote:Re: Grades required. There is a thread on TSR that says

Does anyone know what grades you need to get into Maastricht University because on the website it says 2 A levels A* to E? This is surely wrong.

Nope .......it is actually right .......they are bound by some treaty to take the minimal requirements with which you can get access to university in the uk (any course that is) which is two E's at A-level."

Another post:

I think the application system is different so they might require just 2Es but you would probably be expected to get more. It sounds like the old Oxford offers of 2Es many moons ago. I cannot see anyone being accepted onto a Medicine course who is predicted 2E, probably 4A* to get a 2E offer.
One assumes it's not like the French system - let everyone in, with the acceptance / expectation that a significant number won't make the cut at the end of the first year?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

ToadMum wrote:
Blitz wrote:Re: Grades required. There is a thread on TSR that says

Another post:

One assumes it's not like the French system - let everyone in, with the acceptance / expectation that a significant number won't make the cut at the end of the first year?
I presume it is as the thread on Maastricht University mentions a high drop out rate/people failing the first year.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Maastricht University has a PBL (Problem Based Learning) approach rather than large lectures. Do any UK universities take this approach in subjects other than medicine?

A Quote from a student: The way of learning is a bit different; you sit in small classes and it's PBL (Problem Based Learning). I was a bit intrigued about this approach, but it turned out to improve my speaking skills considerably and I ended up studying more regularly. The way it works is: You always have to prepare 4 to 6 tasks before the class starts and the discussion leader asks other students about them. The discussion leader is appointed by the tutor at the end of each class to prepare the next tutorial.
Last edited by Blitz on Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

PBL-is an excellent why of learning but it requires a lot of self directed learning and discipline -those, used to being spoon fed may struggle imo.

But with high UK fees most parents expect their little charges to be spoon fed :roll: missing the whole point of University education.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now