Accepting Unconditional University Offers.

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Catseye

Accepting Unconditional University Offers.

Post by Catseye »

My DS has been given an unconditional offer from Nottingham University for Computer Science.

Should he accept it?

Alternative would be as an insurance at AAB( normal offers are AAA but AAB if CS is one of your A levels, Maths compulsory) - all other offers will be at at least A*AA-AAA.
mad?

Re: Accepting Unconditional University Offers.

Post by mad? »

So...

What are the chances of making the other offers?

Does he want to go to Nottingham (I can recommend it from an employability perspective)

If your answers are No, Yes, then easy decision.

Otherwise have a good long think. Unis making unconditionals do so because a) they want DC and b) they are concerned they will not fill their places with firms first time round... they may well have clearing places...unless lots of people accept their unconditionals!

My advice would be that if it was always going to be a back up keep it that way. There is always a gap year if it all goes t*** up. That said, never underestimate the lack of pressure an unconditional gives him. If he gets 4A*s you can always have another think then if you want to. Either way, if he is not keen on Nottingham then don't firm it.

And finally, make sure it is his decision. IME DC suddenly start asking for advice at this point and that way lies blame in the future. Has to be his decision. Pros and cons either way.
mad?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It is usually conditional on the student 'firming' the offer which removes all other options.

Personally I think it should only be accepted if the student is 100% sure that is the course they want. It's hard to change your mind later [there are a few threads on TSR about this] and you'd have to go through clearing if/when they release you.
mad?

Post by mad? »

I took the unconditional to be if firmed, if insurance is AAB?
mad?
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Predicted grades A*A*A*A although A*A*A A more realist imho-but he is quite error prone so it could all go **** up quite easily, he more than capable to ballsing it all up.

Does not feel confident about STEP for Imperial(interview next wk).

I think he feels under intense pressure and is panicking.

The pressure at this stage is ridiculous-kids today really are put through the mill compared to my days.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

mad? wrote:I took the unconditional to be if firmed, if insurance is AAB?
????
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Sorry Mad? I get you now, yes it would have to 'firmed' all offers would have to be rejected as g55 has stated.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

The other thing which may happen with accepting an unconditional offer with some students is they then do not work as hard and do not achieve the grades they were capable of achieving.I am not saying it will happen with your son but I have seen it happen.It shouldn't be seen as the option for an easy ride which could have an impact on his future prospects.

Nottingham is a good University.

Being less serious, I don't know if he has a girlfriend ? I am aware the University last year had a 55% to 45% girls to boys ratio, don't know what it is on the course.These things seem to be important to some youngsters over things like employability prospects.

Clearly Imperial has very good employment prospects for its courses and its graduates are in high demand.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Hello, QM, my dearest old friend ( it saddens me that we fell out over the Brexshite nonsense)

CS, is if very male dominated, ratio 9:1, across the top flight Unis.

Something has to be done to bring more women into STEM subjects but progress is painfully slow our future as country depends on it.

His is not one to sit on his laurels- I will give him that much.

TBH we need to wait until all offers are in and then reflect on his options-unconditional offers from such top uni is very flattering-it is easy for young inexperienced heads to be 'turned'.

But worry not, there are some old heads in the shadows including the good folks on this forum to watch over him.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Catseye wrote:Hello, QM, my dearest old friend ( it saddens me that we fell out over the Brexshite nonsense)
Us falling out is news to me.Where did you get that idea from ? Its a rhetorical question.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln