Oxford interview

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tree

Re: Oxford interview

Post by Tree »

Lol neveragain it is great to get more feedback, on the whole oxbridge application experience as it is likely this will be a common outcome for dc's on this site and so would be useful i think.

My dd seems to have decided that she will be happy with the outcome whatever happens, but i suspect she will still be a bit gutted if she doesn't get in but we'll see.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I can't add anything to the thread, I just wanted to say how good it is to see her doing so well and aiming so high. I hope she gets a great outcome to this.

Oh, and Happy Christmas, Tree!

(The old ones are the best ones, I always think. :wink: )
Tree

Post by Tree »

hehe
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Think the other girl was either deliberately trying to psych her, or just not a very nice/aware of the world person, so glad your daughter felt able to ignore her!

Her economics interview sounds like my Oxford maths interview: they asked if there'd been any questions I'd struggled with on the test paper. I said one I hadn't liked or finished, and they asked me to do it on the blackboard.

Hope she gets good news soon :-)
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

aliportico wrote:Think the other girl was either deliberately trying to psych her, or just not a very nice/aware of the world person, so glad your daughter felt able to ignore her!

Her economics interview sounds like my Oxford maths interview: they asked if there'd been any questions I'd struggled with on the test paper. I said one I hadn't liked or finished, and they asked me to do it on the blackboard.

Exactly the same experience for my DD Cambridge interview - which essay did you do in the essay test muttered one academic to her......and how did you find it?

Really hard, she said, I wondered if I said anything of worth in it.

Great, he replied, why don't you spend 15 mins talking to me about that topic then...... :x
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

neveragain* wrote:
aliportico wrote:Think the other girl was either deliberately trying to psych her, or just not a very nice/aware of the world person, so glad your daughter felt able to ignore her!

Exactly the same experience for my DD Cambridge interview - which essay did you do in the essay test muttered one academic to her......and how did you find it?

Really hard, she said, I wondered if I said anything of worth in it.

Great, he replied, why don't you spend 15 mins talking to me about that topic then...... :x
I'm sensing a common theme here.

There's an easy way round it though for any future Oxbridge candidates. When they ask which part you found most difficult just lie and tell them the area you're most confident in! :D
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Let us know how she gets on.
KB

Post by KB »

What they are looking for is how the candidate tackles something they find difficult (because most of what they face at Oxbridge will be testing them and for many it will be the first time) so don't worry so much about showing lack of knowledge.

Best wishes to all those waiting - remember that they have so many strong applicants that not being offered a place doesn't mean you wouldn't have been good enough, just that on the day the interviewers decided someone else was a stronger candidate. Many with experience in the area agree that much of the time the process is a bit of a lottery.
Tree

Post by Tree »

Yay DD got offer today A*AA for economics management at St Catherine's she is well pleased and we are really proud of her.
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Tree wrote:Yay DD got offer today A*AA for economics management at St Catherine's she is well pleased and we are really proud of her.

Fantastic! Well done little miss Tree, and well done to you too Tree! :D

Happy New Year!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now