Newcastle university - motorway noise?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Y

Newcastle university - motorway noise?

Post by Y »

DS is considering Newcastle University, and I've just looked at the campus map. The Central Motorway skirts the campus. Does anyone have any experience of the noise levels created by this, its visual impact, or particular problems of pollution? Any other comments on the city and university? DS loved Durham, particularly liked the city of Liverpool, but disliked Manchester and Bristol. He doesn't like London. Guidance greatly appreciated as Newcastle is a very long way to go for an open day if he's unlikely to like the city!
JamesDean

Re: Newcastle university - motorway noise?

Post by JamesDean »

Many happy Saturday nights in the Big Market or boogie-ing on the Tuxedo Princess's rotating dance floor :lol:

Seriously though, Newcastle is very much like any other city in the UK - if your DS didn't like Manchester or Bristol then Newcastle is quite similar, although smaller. Durham has a completely different feel.

My experiences are, of course, from 20-odd years ago but I can't see it having changed too much. You do, of course, also have the vast and beautiful expanses of Northumbria on your doorstep there as well :D

JD
Amber

Post by Amber »

I have never heard of the motorway as a consideration for anyone looking at Newcastle. I was there as a student many years ago and have been back lots since. It's the most vibrant, friendly,lovely city in England in my view and anyone going to university there is jolly lucky. My kids all love it. Never heard of anyone not liking it apart from those who haven't been. Coast a quick metro ride away and marvellous countryside all around. Still hoping one of mine goes there in the end. I also trained as a teacher there. It's always innovating, always on the up- great restaurants, nightlife if that is what you're after and the last time I was down on the quayside (Last year) I was so emotional as it is so beautiful now.

Just go and see. That's all I can say.

Crossed posts with JD but I disagree. It isn't like any other city in the UK. It has more heart and soul!
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Amber wrote:Crossed posts with JD but I disagree. It isn't like any other city in the UK. It has more heart and soul!
Oh I don't disagree, Amber, but the people of Manchester and Bristol probably feel that way too!
Newcastle is a very special place, Y, and is definitely worth a visit, for all the reasons Amber gives, even if your DS has no intention of studying there!

JD
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

BIL was a student there (again 30-odd years ago) and seems to have had a good experience.

If the course makes Newcastle a serious contender but your DS has a record so to speak with regard to how he feels about different cities, then he really ought to make the effort to visit. Particularly if it is a long way - the very distance may also colour how he feels about it as a place to spend several years.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Y

Post by Y »

Unfortunately, the nearest university offering the course is 180 miles away! Newcastle is the most distant of those on his shortlist, though Durham isn't much nearer. Looking at the train costs for two of us, I'm thinking perhaps we'll make a short break of it over the summer - or even next Easter - rather than have the rather pressured 1 night 1 day turnaround, with the need to catch a specific train home again. We visited my DD's university town in the Easter just before she accepted the offer, and it gave her a great opportunity to find her way round the city, which helped enormously with settling in in her first term. 'Smaller', in terms of cities, is better as far as my DS is concerned - hence the liking of Liverpool.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Newcastle has a population of 280k (22k at the uni)

Durham 43k (16k at uni)

Liverpool 465k (21k at uni)

big differences!

What subject is he looking at ?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Durham to Newcastle is 12 minutes by train.
It's a very different university though. College structure don't forget.

Telegraph yesterday published a list of the 10 hardest universities to get into in the UK. To save you the tedium of the online article here it is:

10 Warwick
9 Edinburgh
8 Bristol
7 UCL
6 St Andrews
5 Durham
4 LSE
3 Imperial
2 Oxford
1 Cambridge

Newcastle is very walkable, doesn't feel big, has a great public transport system too. The people are arguably the friendliest in the country. But the only way is to see it.
Y

Post by Y »

Sounds like we could be heading to Newcastle for a short break! Of Amber's '10 hardest' only Durham is an option for DS's current choice of biology and psychology - it has very limited availability. (Ok, we haven't actually checked the Scottish universities, but Durham is quite far enough!)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What about Keele?