How much weekly allowance to give at London University?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Minesatea

Re: How much weekly allowance to give at London University?

Post by Minesatea »

Depending on fast/slow trains the commute would be between 65 and 90 minutes to his first choice uni. We live very close to a main line station so a short walk our end. He doesnt seem keen to move out but this may be to stop DS2 getting his bedroom!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That's too long imho and a risk in bad weather/travel conditions e.g. 'wrong sort of snow', 'leaves on the line'.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Being a student in London is a very different experience I think from any other UK university. The students I have contact with come from all over London and go back to different bits of London at the end of the day. It is very different from my own undergraduate experience - halls in the first year, grotty shared flats in an area of grotty student flats thereafter - and I am sure whether or not it suits you depends on what you are looking for. I would have hated it; I know others who loved it. Just ensure if a DC is thinking of it they know that the experience is likely to be very different from most other places.

Agree with KB's post, in short.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

How close to their Uni are they? Students get cheaper travel in London https://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-paymen ... 18-student" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . If rent is paid you should get an actual figure for travel, decide how much a week for food (and some supermarkets have cards for students which can be topped up as required and exclude alcohol) and then an amount for clothes, going out etc, which should be based on the Student Union, cinema etc. Other more expensive evenings out could be paid for by saving from the weekly allowance (a lesson in budgeting!) All the Universities have bars, societies, sports clubs etc. Once DC has settled ask what they are interested in. Which Uni is it?
moved

Post by moved »

I normally commute to East London from Essex (about 1.75 hrs each way) and it is very tiring. I wouldn't encourage either of mine to give up so much of their lives to stand on a train.

Just feeling jaded, but...
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

Amber wrote:Being a student in London is a very different experience I think from any other UK university.
Agree with KB's post, in short.
Can second this, I would say halls are great to have in the first year as a lot of the friendships are formed then. Most of my uni friends then either shared a flat in their second year or stayed at home, and finally in our 3rd year we were all at home taking the work more seriously!

Halls were quite empty at the weekend, with lots of people going home for 1 or 2 nights and coming back with clean laundry and some homemade treats. Not sure if it's all changed now, this is going back some 20 plus years. :oops:

Edited to add that my travel back home was about 45 minutes, and those that went home regularly had journeys of a similar duration - mostly within the hour.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Thanks for the comments. It is his idea, not mine, I dont think the communal student experience appeals. Where we live commuting to london for work is seen as normal, most of the neighbours do it, hence where he has got the idea from. That and the school mates he has that have done the journey in reverse for the last 5 years! (That I would never inflict on any child).
Personally I would still like him to consider the european options but at the end of the day it has to be his choice.
Amber

Post by Amber »

We are looking at European options here (well I say 'we', but I don't get any say!) so if anyone does have any useful input I would be interested. (Not wanting to take your thread off topic Minesatea). I have just got back from 2 Swedish universities and can see the appeal of wanting to study there for sure.
KB

Post by KB »

If its what he decides to do then its going to be easier to find a place in London to stay if he changes his mind than sign up for halls and then want to get out.

The thing about commuting to uni rather than work is that whereas at work when you are finished ( how ever long the hours) that's it, at Uni there is always studying still to do.

Perhaps it depends on which course he is doing - some have many more contact hours than others for example whereas one that requires lots of reading might work by doing a lot on the train.

The 'student experience' isnt for everyone and he might change his mind about moving in to Lindon for second year if he has made some friends.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Lots of degrees include group assignments; these might be difficult if you are commuting.