University offers by return and personal statements

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: University offers by return and personal statements

Post by Guest55 »

The uni will see if AAA is a sensible prediction e.g. AS results of BBCC would not get an offer. Some schools are known to over predict and these students get weeded out.

It depends on the quality of predictions and advice from school. We don't give AAA to anyone without at least two As at AS and very close UMS on at least one other ...
moved

Post by moved »

Friend's child predicted A*AAB, 3 offers, one interview and one rejection! Rejection place asked for AAB. No back up offer there then.
Child had over 90% UMS in 3 subjects and 84% in the 4th. School don't like to over predict! State school.

Relative, UMS between 70 and 85%, four offers from Russell Group and interview. Predicted A*A*AA! Private school.

Both applied for an engineering-style degree and both have the standard double maths and physics +1.

It would appear that predictions matter more than grades achieved.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Maybe for the former it was the quality of the personal statement?

Lots of factors are considered so without seeing the application I can't say what the weakness was ...
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

moved wrote: It would appear that predictions matter more than grades achieved.
Universities particularly the so called RG have very accurate data regarding prediction to actual grades obtained going back many yrs, believe me ! and persistent/habitual offenders are flagged up

exceptions are only made for schools sending very few to such institutions were they may give the "benefit of the doubt" to school and accept their predictions on face value.

trust me on this one!
Liz3

Post by Liz3 »

Do universities have access to the UMS scores?
Will over inflated predictions lead to unrealistically high offers, which are about as valuable as no offer at all?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Liz3 wrote:Do universities have access to the UMS scores?
Will over inflated predictions lead to unrealistically high offers, which are about as valuable as no offer at all?
a few unis ask for them separately (eg Cambridge who want 93+ or something like that - think it is the pool cutoff). Otherwise they just have the grade.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

To apply for Vet Med or medicine on the other hand is to descend into a circle of **** which might as well be run by Alan Sugar. Good grades only take you so far (except at Oxbridge where the lunatics have not so far taken over the asylum).
Thereafter there are forms to fill in with the usual hackneyed, facile nonsense - Your worst weakness , how you worked as part of a team, a challenge you overcame etc etc etc. Personally I would want a surgeon who was fantastic at science and maths, not the gobbiest idiot on the block!

Then there are interviews, multiple mini interviews including ones where the interviewers set out to be irritating "to see how you react", ones where you might have to handle an animal - in each one you have to second guess the warped mindset of some jumped up administrator who has been on too many HR CPD courses.

DD2 is very much hoping to escape to the sanity of Cambridge if at all possible. It really does seem that nobody has any idea what they are really looking for in the vets and doctors of the future - and don't get me started on the UKCAT and the BMAT save to say that if you really believe the party line that they cannot be prepped for then you really shouldn't even be thinking of going to uni at all!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Magwich, sounds just like the conversation I had with a retired med school dean the other day.... sausage factory came to mind.

In my medical school year there were people who went into a wide range of areas of medicine, - surgery, pathology, psychiatry, GP, cardiology, immunology research, infectious diseases, comedy writing.
TBH you could tell from early on where some would end up.
Medicine needs a huge range of people and I am afraid that the current process of selection won't give us that
Liz3

Post by Liz3 »

I always though more attention to skills in metalwork, woodwork and sewing ought to feature for the medics!!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Liz3 wrote:I always though more attention to skills in metalwork, woodwork and sewing ought to feature for the medics!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: always used to be the joke about CSE in woodwork ..... sewing not so crucial, just need to be able to tie one handed knots.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now