1st term engineering exam at Cambridge and Imperial

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SteveDH

1st term engineering exam at Cambridge and Imperial

Post by SteveDH »

Both My DD whose at Cambridge and Her Friend at Imperial have exams this week.
They are both 1st years.
My DD was told by her Dos not to worry about the exam as its just so they can gage progress.
Her friend was told that If they didn't pass the exam they would have to retake the 1st year, i.e. they would be kicked out now and have to start again in October...
Guest55

Re: 1st term engineering exam at Cambridge and Imperial

Post by Guest55 »

Imperial were noted for their 'throw them out' policy. A friend of mine from school was thrown out at the end of his second year ..

Unis have different policies about exams and whether there are resits; worth checking out before your child applies.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Unis do vary hugely, some only require a pass in the first year overall (and that is sort of scraping a third level). I think they recognise that arriving at Uni and settling down can take some time. Degree classifications usually start from the scores in the second year onwards
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

however these tests are after just 1 term when students have barely got over freshers week etc..
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - we had the same - if you didn't pass in January that was it. Then you had to pass the summer ones too, no resits.

When I did my degree only about half of those starting with me graduated; some left and quite a few were kicked out during year one.
KB

Post by KB »

The Cambridge ones won't count towards summer exams, which are the ones they need to pass to avoid getting thrown out - Cambridge don't do resits that I have ever come across.

Imperial sounds different but the pass mark could be very low and basically just check they have been attending.

Generally first year marks don't get carried forward so its just a case of passing. The difference is for those applying for placements etc for 3rd year as the first year marks will be the ones going on applications.

Most Universities take 2nd year marks into account in the degree classification ( though weighted lower) but with Cambridge the final year is stand alone with no resits. Horrendous pressure.
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Steve, my DD did her first year mock exams at Kings, Cambridge yesterday.

Her DoS similarly reassured that they were simply a practice for the summer exams and not to stress at all! indeed one of her supervisors said how much the fellows hate them and the early pressure they put on students. She felt 2 went well, one was Ok and one was horrendous........ :shock:

It does seem crazy after only 8 weeks of lectures etc and after a Christmas vac that also included 3 very long essays.......she didn't revise until the day before as felt she needed the brain rest more than the kudos of good results.......
KB

Post by KB »

Glad she got through them!
On the plus side it does give them an idea of what to expect in the summer. Cambridge (& many university) exams are probably very different to anything previously experienced so its better to mess up when it doesn't matter. It may also help with knowing how to focus studies between now & then ( though a good supervisor should be helping with this).
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

She has 4 supervisors - 2 fab, one ok and one awful! But after this year she moves into studying only 2 subjects and two supervisors so it should get easier!

Yes KB, she is just pleased to have survived them!
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

my DD had hers today... one 3 hour exam with all the subjects in one go.

she has 7 supervisors.. most are ok, but they do have one, who was new, that everyone thought was scary, however the DOS said she thought she was being nice, so we'll see what she's like this term...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now