Work experience for Medicine

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tree

Re: Work experience for Medicine

Post by Tree »

there are also wider patient groups I've been working with healthwatch:

http://www.healthwatchhertfordshire.co. ... embership/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

doing surveys in schools about local health services and some of the pupils in the schools have got very involved and mentioned these sessions on their ucas and interviews, if you contacted your local CCG and said you were interested in doing a project in your school asking pupils about their experience of local nhs services and would they be interested in the findings i suspect they would bite your hand off that kind of feedback from teenagers is very valuable to them all CCG's have patient groups:

http://www.dacorumpatientsgroup.org.uk/page33.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this kind of thing i think would be loads better than working in a care home, shows initiative, triggers and interesting debate about public engagement etc
solimum

Post by solimum »

That sort of survey thing would no doubt be very interesting and strategic , but (as someone with no medics in the family at all but close friends with a care home nurse whose daughter is now a medic) the care home, where they could be working with actual elderly people, perhaps doing some of the menial care/feeding tasks but aware of the many medical needs being dealt with as well, would be an ideal environment to develop vital characteristics such as patience with patients...
Tree

Post by Tree »

sure i agree some actual hands on caring experience would be great and essential as a guide to whether this kind of career is for you i guess but most people applying will have done this kind of thing, just pointing out where some other outside the box type experiences is possible
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now