Meningitis W vaccination

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scary mum

Re: Meningitis W vaccination

Post by scary mum »

A quick update. DD had to see the nurse for something else and asked if they had any vaccine. They must have just had a delivery, so job done. If your surgery says they have none, keep asking as ours didn't seem to know when to expect it.
scary mum
tense

Post by tense »

Thanks so much for this tip scary mum. My DD phoned the surgery again & has managed to get an appointment for her jab next week - after being told that there 'definitely wouldn't be any more vaccine' :o
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DH made DS1's appointment whilst ringing up about something else and DS1 had the jab on the 1st. Today, he received a letter, written three days later, asking him to contact the surgery to make an appointment to have... To be fair, they probably pulled the list a while ago of those eligible for it (just not before the date I first asked, I hope :roll: ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
moved

Post by moved »

Hi,

I've revived this topic as I'm unsure how this is working for this year's cohort.
DD in a state grammar, in the correct year group, has had her jab.
DS in a private school and out of year group has not been told about it.

Does anyone know what happens for private school children. Are we as informed parents just supposed to get on with it and get our DC to go and get the jab?

Thanks
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

moved wrote:Does anyone know what happens for private school children. Are we as informed parents just supposed to get on with it and get our DC to go and get the jab?
All Y10 in our indie school are having their jabs done this week at school. A letter with a consent form went out to parents and it said that those who choose not have it done at school should contact their GPs.
Last edited by PurpleDuck on Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Amber

Post by Amber »

I think you should call your GP practice. DD on gap year had hers last year. She was heading off to China and getting some jabs done anyway but was definitely eligible.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Last year I think the GPs were involved but not the schools so it was probably different, and as mentioned above they did not call those (like my DD) who were not in the correct year. I would just call your GP. Do it now before the summer rush!
scary mum
Y

Post by Y »

I've just rung the matron in my son's school, who says that the Year 11s are getting the vaccine on Monday, but to the puzzlement of the school nurses, Year 13s aren't to be offered the vaccine in school. She said to go to the GP, but warned that a number of parents had been told by their GPs to go to the school... I've just spoken to my surgery - the receptionist clearly wasn't clued up, but will get a nurse to ring me, and let me know if there is any vaccine! Sounds like there's a generalized communication problem.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DD had the MenW jab last month as part of her year 10 boosters; I think DS2's school were having both year 9 and year 10 done (if that is the new policy in our area, then possibly the year 9s had theirs at DD's school as well but we just didn't notice). I don't think the year 13s are offered the vaccine in school here, either, but I may be wrong.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mad?

Post by mad? »

Years 10 and 11 having theirs this week at DD2's indie. DD1 (1st year uni/Y14) had hers having been called up by GP. DD2 (Y12) has heard nothing either way grr. Made for some very interesting conversations when the girl in the room next to DD1 at uni got Meng W, having told everyone it was unnecessary to have the jab as it was so rare. The irony (and annoyance) of her free riding on everyone else was lost on her of course. She appeared to have thought the jab was to protect her, rather than the herd. Don't get me started. DD2 was due to go and spend the weekend with DD1 and we had already bought train tickets. Wish I could charge her :twisted:

So, it seems Ys 12 and 13 are not getting it yet but might...when?
mad?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now