Veterinary science with IB qualification

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Looking for help

Re: Veterinary science with IB qualification

Post by Looking for help »

Just passing through and this thread caught my eye. Tolstoy, hope you're well? My son is taking the IB now as we have had to move away from the UK, but I expect he will return to the UK for university.
The thought that popped into my head is that now that AS exams are a thing of the past (or going to be, sorry not sure when the new a levels come in now) I think the IB will become more popular with UK universities. Nobody will have any results in 6th form any longer so they will have to use other methods to make offers. Previously there might have been concern with IB students that they only had GCSEs to look at. I know it is a concern among the British expats that their children will be applying without even those if they have been at an international school that doesn't offer iGCSE.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

All well LFH but seems as soon as I sort one DC it is straight on to next like a rolling programme :lol:

You make an interesting point and I think I may suggests DC calls a few Uni admissions. Now to try and fit an extra OE into the agenda. I need an extra me :)
Looking for help

Poor you Tolstoy, I remember what it's like, juggling so many at once. I am somewhat relieved but somewhat sad, that it's only my last one who needs me now, although actually if I'm honest he's probably the most 'sorted' of us all. ( that's what not getting a GS place does for you, haha)
Good luck, I think calling the universities is the best idea, they will give the best advice.
In our school though you can do 2 sciences and a creative like music or art, that might just be time tabling issues. My son for the first two weeks was doing physics, chemistry and music, but changed in the end from physics to biology and had to drop music for English because biology and music were on at the same time. I think for IB you have to take your first language , a second language, a mathematics subject, a social science eg history, a floater ( which can be your second science) and a creative. We went to a talk by Oxbridge here and there was no suggestion that only two sciences would be a problem for medicine/vet although the audience was mainly international students, so not necessarily reflective of standard uk entrants
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

One of the science teachers we talked to also seemed to think he'd be okay with two Sciences and another. The set up of your DSs IB sounds very similar to the set up in the school DSs used to attend and it is why I thought it would suit him.

The biggest issue for him will be staying with 'friends'. My DC have been forced to leave too many along the way so it is something I understand. But like your youngest it has given them an independence. I am encouraging him to look into the IB option though even if it means tonight is going to be rather manic with IB school OEvening and present school OEvening clash. Wish they would organise these things a little better :(
Looking for help

Good luck, Tolstoy, I know you have a lot going on! Shame both OEs are on the same night, that's bad luck.
Yes I can see that moving schools etc gives an independence, and an air of confidence I've not really seen before, your children may have had to leave friends behind but also make more in their new environments. Also in this day and age it's not the same as 20 years ago, with Skype and social media. Happily my son has managed to fit in here but at the same time keep up with his old friends. I'm sure your son will do well with whatever option he chooses, and keep up with all his friends :D
Jiffreturns

Post by Jiffreturns »

Not sure about more recent statistics, but according to my 2014 DGS sixth form booklet, they had 3 go on to study veterinary science at university with the IB.

ETA ie from their 2013 results.
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

We have looked at the entry requirements for all the various schools and confirm that biology and chemistry at higher level are definites. A couple also request higher level maths or higher level physics but not many. I don't believe you can actually do 3 sciences in the IB so I'm not sure about how they've come up with that. Most say the 3rd HL is of your choice as it is then the points score (overall and for the subject) that kicks in to get the place, not the subject choice. I believe that is the beauty of the IB. They leave the third choice at HL up to you because you have to do maths, English, a humanity and a language so the curriculum is broad.
Further requests from the vet schools on IB or A/levels (where people have the choice) suggests they have no preference. The sceptic in me says that they couldn't really give one anyway as it would potentially alienate a lot of schools.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

If,I may just put my two pennies worth in.

My DS loves school now that he is in sixth form and he does not have do subjects that he found arduous at gcse/igcse.

He's not really an all rounder, his interests lie in the sciences/computing and maths and would rather have his right arm be cut off than do any more Languages or Humanities for another 2 years .

I think it is good that young adults with different aptitudes are allowed different but equally acceptable avenues to realise their aspiration but I do worry for those wanting to STEM subjects , higher level IB Maths is nowhere near the level of A level Further Maths(not relevant to veterinary science or medicine, I know), and with A level Maths going linear/terminal soon the gap can only grow larger.
Looking for help

Not sure I agree, Catseye, I think HL maths is between A2 and FM , but also there is a FM option for the dedicated mathematician. But you are correct, the IB is for the all rounder and suits those who struggle to decide what they want to do at age 16. As far as STEM subjects, well few UK students take 3 sciences + maths to A2 so not much different in my view. My son is taking HL maths, chem, biol and English ( may drop down to Sl in this) and SL history and French. Great breadth and a good depth in the HL subjects as well. Plus an extended essay, allowing him to show his research skills. It's a lot of work...hopefully it will be worth it. :D
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

I wonder how Paul Dirac (the greatest and most significant British scientist after Newton )would of coped with the IB.

And I paraphrase here " Art(humanities) makes simple things complicated but science makes complicated things simple"

Why there is not a massive statue to this giant of a man in Westminster alongside Newton and Darwin ? I do not know or understand.

But digress :oops:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now