IB and Oxbridge application

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Looking for help

Re: IB and Oxbridge application

Post by Looking for help »

Thank you, WonderWoman.
It sounds like your son has done really well also, isn't that brilliant?
Due to our moving abroad, mine is a year behind where he should be but is doing really well. I do believe it all works out in the end, and I'm so pleased for your son too. Fingers crossed results will be as expected and your son will be off to his first choice in the autumn.
I find it very hard to equate my poor little boy who didn't pass an 11plus exam with the young man he has become, it's incredible. But que sera and all that. I think it's maturity more than anything that makes the person, my lad has had an awful tendency to rush things and overthink, and he's learned as he's grown older to think before answering and trust his instincts. He may not succeed in his application to Oxbridge but he's the one who said to me this evening to stop worrying, he can cope and understands the realities of applying. i have to stop protecting him which is what I've been doing his whole life apparently. But whatevs, blad :lol: (despite his very good language skills, he does enjoy teen speak)
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

You have him for an extra year, how lovely. I'm currently trying to encourage a gap year for DS, without appearing to.
Good luck with Oxbridge - just shows what a load of baloney the 11+ is. (Although this forum is useful in many ways :wink: ).
Looking for help

Thanks, WW, and good luck to your son too. I agree, selecting at 11 is absolute tosh! However, sometimes it is the setbacks that make you what you are :)
80's girl

Post by 80's girl »

Hello Looking for help. My ds goes to an IB school and he's never mentioned anybody taking 4 higher level subjects, certainly it was not a pathway we ever came across. The norm there is 3 higher and 3 standard( or in his case 1 studies.) The Oxbridge offers have recently come in and I've only heard of a standard points offer and points required for the 3 higher level subjects, eg 39 points 766.

Obviously to be on the safe side I would also follow advice given and ring admissions. My DS has found the IB workload tough particularly the last Autumn term, so if he could change 1 to standard that would ease the pressure a little.

Another thing we found was that IB offers tend to be lower at Oxford than Cambridge, although with the ceasing of the ASs this may change and this may not be the case for every subject. My DS preferred the course at Oxford, but this was also a factor on which he based his decision, preferring to take the TSA test.
Looking for help

Thank you 80's girl. Sorry for not replying sooner, I've had internet issues.
Yes I think the norm is 3 higher, 3 standard, hence my query regarding offers. He now has a meeting with his advisor (strange system here in a US school) tomorrow, and I'm hoping she will know enough to point him in the right direction.
Is your son currently in year13? Mine is in the equivalent of year 12, he seems to be coping with the workload so far, but I have heard that the Autumn term of the second year of IB is the worst as that's when the extended essay needs to get done. My son also prefers Oxford to Cambridge but he needs to understand the bit about hardly anybody gets in!!
80's girl

Post by 80's girl »

Looking for help wrote: Is your son currently in year13? Mine is in the equivalent of year 12, he seems to be coping with the workload so far, but I have heard that the Autumn term of the second year of IB is the worst as that's when the extended essay needs to get done. My son also prefers Oxford to Cambridge but he needs to understand the bit about hardly anybody gets in!!
Yes he is in year 13, and yes we were pre warned that the Autumn term would be difficult and it has certainly been tough and still is tbh.They also have a lot going on with university applications and we did try and look around unis in June/July but as you're in the US don't know if that would work? He was advised to get work done over the summer hols, as well as reading for his Oxford application.

My DS does Geography, Biology and History at HL and I really can't see how he could cope with another. However, I suppose it does depend on the subject and how difficult they find it. I hope your Ds's meeting goes well and if you would like to ask anything about my Ds's IB or his Oxford application I will try to help :D
Looking for help

Thanks 80s girl, we are in Europe so visiting open days shouldn't be too much of a problem. Mine is currently doing HL maths, biol, chem and English and doesn't want fo drop any.
He met with the adviser who was pretty good, but she didn't dissuade him from continuing with 4 HLs grrrr.
I hope all goes well for your son, it is a scary time :D
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

You are looking to achieve ideally 6 and 7s at higher. Assume 3 6s if all goes well. 7s can be done but its tough.
Good chance at getting 3 6 or 7s at standard.
But if you take 4 highers you risk the chance of under performing in more than one subject.
Could end up with 4 HL at 4,5 or 6s
You are after 39 + to get to get Oxbridge.
You could risk all that doing 4 HL.
The extended essay and CAS element still need work. Students assume the full points here 3/3 , many do not get them.
My DD did IB and scored 39, she did 3 standard and 3 HL if that helps. Got 5 offers all from top unis.
She couldn't imagine doing a fourth HL, it's not like taking a fourth A level
willowsticks

Post by willowsticks »

Tracy wrote:You are looking to achieve ideally 6 and 7s at higher. Assume 3 6s if all goes well. 7s can be done but its tough.
Good chance at getting 3 6 or 7s at standard.
But if you take 4 highers you risk the chance of under performing in more than one subject.
Could end up with 4 HL at 4,5 or 6s
You are after 39 + to get to get Oxbridge.
You could risk all that doing 4 HL.
The extended essay and CAS element still need work. Students assume the full points here 3/3 , many do not get them.
My DD did IB and scored 39, she did 3 standard and 3 HL if that helps. Got 5 offers all from top unis.
She couldn't imagine doing a fourth HL, it's not like taking a fourth A level
Hi Tracy, was it the end of year 12 mock exams that was used for her UCAS predictions?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I could be wrong but I don't think so.
I seem to remember a set of 'mocks' early in the Autumn term of year 13.
I'm pretty sure that these results, unless way out, were used for the Uni applications.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now