Early A levels and offers

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

moved

Early A levels and offers

Post by moved »

I have been interested to see this year that some young people are being made offers that take into account previous A levels.
One person has been made an offer of 1 A and another of 2 As. Both already have a language A level and/or maths. The universities are both well regarded: Bristol and Southampton and the courses stem: physics and engineering.
Guest55

Re: Early A levels and offers

Post by Guest55 »

This isn't new as quite a few schools complete Maths A level in Year 12.

How many other A levels are they doing?
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

I think I posted about DS on another thread - he took A2 maths in years 10, 11 and 12 and I was very concerned that this wouldn't count towards any offers as posters on this forum and others had indicated that universities want 3 A-levels in one sitting. However, he has offers from 3 unis based on 2 A level results (one of which must be physics) - 2 AA and one A*A, (Southampton, Liverpool, Durham) and an unconditional (Lancaster). He is waiting (still) to hear from Birmingham, who appear to have lost his predicted grades. This is to read physics. This year he is doing Further Maths (AS and A2), Physics and Music and had very good GCSE and AS level results, plus predicted all A*s, which may have helped. All the unis he looked around (including 3 different colleges and the department at Oxford) were happy to make him an offer of 2 A levels.
moved

Post by moved »

Both of them are taking another 3 this summer so the universities can see that they can manage the workload.
Last year, I came across a few who already had maths/language and were made offers on 3 further A levels.