UCAS deadline

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ex-depressed mum

UCAS deadline

Post by ex-depressed mum »

An update on the continuing saga ...

Son has actually completed and submitted UCAS (I know, I'm minus 15 quid!) and did consult me in the end, albeit when right up against the deadline. Has opted for Geography and tourism management, which was totally unexpected (the tm part). However, it's good that it's totally his decision and, as a non high flyer, I'm pleased he's going for something with a strong vocational aspect.

I realise now why the school presses for these forms to be completed well before Christmas - once the form is submitted, it is passed to referees (eg the school) to write a reference on the applicant. This is then returned to UCAS. So, if you leave it right up until 15th Jan, I imagine you could be too late as application will be minus the reference.

Anyway, all we need to do is see if he gets the grades ...
... and you thought the 11+ was stressful!
Downwardly mobile mum

Re: UCAS deadline

Post by Downwardly mobile mum »

ex-depressed mum wrote:An update on the continuing saga ...

Son has actually completed and submitted UCAS (I know, I'm minus 15 quid!) and did consult me in the end, albeit when right up against the deadline. Has opted for Geography and tourism management, which was totally unexpected (the tm part). However, it's good that it's totally his decision and, as a non high flyer, I'm pleased he's going for something with a strong vocational aspect.

I realise now why the school presses for these forms to be completed well before Christmas - once the form is submitted, it is passed to referees (eg the school) to write a reference on the applicant. This is then returned to UCAS. So, if you leave it right up until 15th Jan, I imagine you could be too late as application will be minus the reference.

Anyway, all we need to do is see if he gets the grades ...
... and you thought the 11+ was stressful!
Was he asked for details of your qualifications and income on his form, do you know? If so, did he give them or did you tell him to put Not Known? Just wondering whether the latest initiative for social engineering has come into play yet!
solimum

UCAS

Post by solimum »

My son's form went in a while ago and there was certainly no income question - however I'm not sure if there was a question about whether parents attended university. Income would come into the later Student Loan form for applying for a means-tested maintenance grant (ie anything more than the standard loan)

You're right, it is far more stressful than choice of secondary school. DS has offers from 4 universities now but they all have a large number of A grades required (including several specifying A in individual maths modules). Still waiting to hear about an interview at Oxford....
j

Post by j »

Schools own deadline came and went as we waited for AS remarks (1 point off an A in two subjects - Aagh!) Results finally came in the day after they broke up for half term - no change unfortunately. He then sent it off to school but his tutor was off on his honeymoon - how inconsiderate of him :wink:

Two weeks later tutor sends it back for 'tweaking'. Back it goes then nothing while we wait for references. Nagged school and eventually it was sent off about a month after everyone elses!

It has now been acknowledged by UCAS but it's really frustrating that he is the only one waiting for offers amongst his friends.

To make matters worse, what was going to be his second choice have upped their grade requirements since their Open Day and didn't update their website.

11+ ? child's play in comparison :roll:

Post by Guest »

My son started at Durham in September and I just wanted to say that I found the whole university application process quite stressful. Their personal statement is so important - they have to try and stand out from the crowd and you can imagine the competition for places. He did get an interview at Oxford but was not offered a place. He found the Oxford experience very stressful and felt quite isolated when he was there but it was a good experience for him and he would definitely have taken a place up if offered. It was interesting to speak to his friends that had tried for Cambridge and who found their experience there wonderful. I think part of this may be that with Cambridge it is all done in a day whereas with Oxford you have to stay 2-3 days. Anyway, just wanted to wish all your children good luck. My son is extremely happy at Durham and has already made many friends, especially in the rugby team.
ex depressed mum

Post by ex depressed mum »

Hi, the UCAS form didn't ask for parent income, but did ask for highest qualification of parents and profession. As I have a degree and teach, I would really be upset if social engineering came into play and he lost a place to a less qualified child, given that I left school at 16 and didn't get my degree with the OU until I was in my forties... especially as my husband is a bricklayer!
Downwardly mobile mum

ex depressed mum wrote:Hi, the UCAS form didn't ask for parent income, but did ask for highest qualification of parents and profession. As I have a degree and teach, I would really be upset if social engineering came into play and he lost a place to a less qualified child, given that I left school at 16 and didn't get my degree with the OU until I was in my forties... especially as my husband is a bricklayer!
Yes, that is what I was afraid of, and goodness knows what questions they will have thought up for next year when my son applies. Did he have to answer the questions or is there an option for not saying anything? :oops:
Getting depressed again..

Post by Getting depressed again.. »

I seem to remember there was no option to withhold information. If there was, we missed it. Drat.
Downwardly mobile mum

Getting depressed again.. wrote:I seem to remember there was no option to withhold information. If there was, we missed it. Drat.
Can you retrieve it before the school send it off and make a few er... corrections? :wink:
Getting depressed again

Post by Getting depressed again »

Form has already been submitted electronically to UCAS, who will be forwarding it to school for references. Presumably it is now no longer retrievable for 'amendment'. Shame.

Incidentally, saw a posting somewhere which said approx 20% of uni applications result in no offers whatsoever. Is this down to poor selection of courses, eg aiming too high, perhaps? Son was very sensible about selecting unis with a range of admission requirements which fell either on or below his predicted scores.