Jury service

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Minesatea

Jury service

Post by Minesatea »

Does anyone have any experience of getting a deferment from jury service on the grounds of being away at university?
The guidance seems to suggest only exams would be a valid reason but given that term hasn't started yet and no timetables issued, exam/assessment dates are not known.
hermanmunster

Re: Jury service

Post by hermanmunster »

It is possible to defer https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 508400.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

13. Cases of hardship may occasionally arise where a student, who depends on
obtaining employment during the vacation in order to meet financial or vocational
commitments, is summoned for jury service before taking up such employment
and is subsequently refused payment for loss of earnings, because no actual
loss of earnings has occurred. Where an application for excusal or deferral is
made by a student on these grounds it should be treated sympathetically,
otherwise genuine financial hardship may be caused.
14. Applications for excusal from teachers or students during term time, and
particularly during exam periods, should be deferred in the first instance.
Paragraph 4 (above) applies.
- you have to identify times in the next 12/12 when you are free - presumably would have to be the next summer hols (unfortunately)
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Ok, that term time quote is interesting, when they asked for advice they were told exam time only. He has given possible dates at xmas/easter (summer work placement planned so no better)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It could differ from county to county - I had to miss two weeks teaching one October to be on Jury service - wasn't allowed to defer. It also meant missing a day of my MA course which was not great at the time.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

I was called over the summer holidays but managed to defer as I had no other childcare options (slight white lie, but it would have been a pain to sort). I said I could do any time during term time and they've deferred it 'til Feb no problem. It seems to be quite flexible, although you can only defer once.

JD
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

That is the concern. One of DS1s teachers at primary school was missing for 1/2 a term when they ended up on a long case.
Whilst 6 weeks into their freshman term is far from ideal, the risk is the deferred time being worse if it hits exams and you cant defer again.
Jiffreturns

Post by Jiffreturns »

DS1 was called up when he had just turned 18 and given dates when he was due to start university (his birthday is late August). As I recall (this is four years ago now) he explained the situation and told them his term dates, and he was then given a time during the university holidays.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now