University moving list

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KB

Re: University moving list

Post by KB »

Some unis still have catered halls in which case self catering facilities are very limited.

At Cambridge in most colleges they are expected to eat in the canteen / hall mostly so many staircases only have 'snack' making facilities.
The facilities ( bathroom, kitchen, heating etc) in some of our most prestigious Universities are shocking!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

KB wrote:Some unis still have catered halls in which case self catering facilities are very limited.

At Cambridge in most colleges they are expected to eat in the canteen / hall mostly so many staircases only have 'snack' making facilities.
The facilities ( bathroom, kitchen, heating etc) in some of our most prestigious Universities are shocking!
In some colleges you have to pay for a cleaner whether you want one or not.

Another reason to think very hard about whether it's the place to go - ditto Oxford has some awful accommodation.
Last edited by Guest55 on Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

That's a good deal. Where is she based?
Ds1 is paying £155 per week to a similar set up to yours in the actual city of London. Yes, all bills inclusive: but has a small ensuite room with shared kitchen (facilities include oven, microwave, ff, kettle etc). There's wifi and a comfy & spacious common room, gym plus 24 hr security and he walks to uni.
Pm me next year for better deals. ATM, I'd like to think that we couldn't get it any cheaper...
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

She's in Leeds and yes, they do have different levels of accommodation from catered through to shared/individual self catered (bed) room flats so, I think the £125 she pays in Leeds seems to be a similar like for like level with DIY mum's ds.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

I don't think I have seen it mentioned but one item of essential furniture for us has been a clothes rail.My dd never had enough wardrobe space so a clothes rail from Argos has been essential.It also comes in useful when the clothes come back.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

quasimodo wrote:I don't think I have seen it mentioned but one item of essential furniture for us has been a clothes rail.My dd never had enough wardrobe space so a clothes rail from Argos has been essential.It also comes in useful when the clothes come back.
Doesn't your daughter have a floordrobe? No need for a rail in that case :lol: :roll:
scary mum
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

scary mum wrote:
quasimodo wrote:I don't think I have seen it mentioned but one item of essential furniture for us has been a clothes rail.My dd never had enough wardrobe space so a clothes rail from Argos has been essential.It also comes in useful when the clothes come back.
Doesn't your daughter have a floordrobe? No need for a rail in that case :lol: :roll:
We must live in the dark ages had to look up what floordrobe was ? :)
I saw Ikea next to the word don't get me started !! :twisted:
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

For those not yet organised...we were at Ikea late last night doing a mammoth shop for eldest's uni list, the girl on the till told us they're running a "back to uni" promotion this weekend with £10 off. (Although imho it was worth more than £10 to get round while it was quiet!)
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

IKEA my idea of h*ll !
One route in then they make you go round the entire store going around in aimless circles just to get back out again.

Whose bright idea was that ?
KB

Post by KB »

I'd definitely want more than £10 to brave IKEA at the weekend :)

Catseye - there's a shortcut through to the marketplace to avoid the nightmare.

We always start with the bargain corner...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now