University moving list

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

University moving list

Post by DIY Mum »

We've been browsing through ds1 college's moving list and it seems as if it's a case of 'less is more'. So basic toiletries, clothes are sorted. And he won't need ironing board or iron as they have laundry facilities. But it looks really simple.
What did your dc pack? Are there any items they felt weren't necessary?
Tinkers

Re: University moving list

Post by Tinkers »

Bit early for us, but I saw that John Lewis had a 'helpful' shopping list for going to uni. DD got a copy out of interest but I don't know if we still have it. It included things like wall art and photo frames, which I'm sure you could do without.

One thing I'd suggest from my own time is basic tool kit (couple of screwdrivers etc or a multitool thing)

Eta I haven't found the hard copy but it is on their website. Bear in mind they are wanting you to buy stuff, so some of it really isn't essential.
http://www.johnlewis.com/inspiration-an ... ni_x150716" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Most unis provide a list - hangers are something people don't think about.

Check what is NOT allowed e.g. mini fridges are not allowed in some unis, many don't allow candles or fairy lights

'The Student room' website also has a section on 'what to take'.

Coins for launderette? Check which coins you need and save them up - no change given. Take washing powder/tablets and if self-catering check what is provided as it varies a lot. All will need mugs, some crockery [even if catered], washing up liquid [keep in locker or room or it will be used in a week], T-towel [ditto], liner bags for waste paper bin, extension lead [may not have enough sockets], cushions [if allowed], normal stationery supplies, printer is useful, large monitor [useful], small first aid kit/medical supplies [paracetamol, plasters, nail scissors, ... ], screwdriver

Starter pack of food/teabags,coffee, milk - great for meeting people.

Will talk to DS and maybe edit.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Some allow led fairy lights (stay cool type)

Quite a few places have laundry cards which are topped up on line , saves having to have too much change

Check the bedding requirements - only single bed so far was in Europe! Worth taking a mattress cover.

Vacuum pack pillows and duvets to take up less room

IKEA bag for laundry

Alarm clock

Lanyard for keys / card
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content ... -checklist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DS had some collapsing plastic boxes [£3 from Tesco] doubled as dump for dirty clothes and laundry basket. Easy to store and then there when they come back home.

Agree about alarm clock - DS had one which was a Rugby clock with battery backup [ie if power goes the time resets] and a radio. Has an alarm which gets louder and louder ...
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Plug extension thingy. Never enough sockets.
Most of them won't need an alarmclock, they will use their phone.
The lists are quite helpful, I think DD used the student room one. Most cars that you see on the motorway heading for university cities have a clothes airer in them. DD had an iron & ironing board provided I think, but I don't imagine it was ever used!
DD packed her clothes, towels, sheets etc in some giant plastic zip bags that IKEA do (a bit like those big checked ones) which was better than suitcases as they could just be folded up ready for bringing all the (unworn) clothes home again at the end of term/year.
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I've turned this into a sticky as I expect it may become a useful thread over the years.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Some really good tips given- you lot are pros! Thank you :D

His college don't allow candles, fairy lights or wall art etc. No blue tac either. I suppose they think a pin board will do?

Doesn't say if they include waste paper baskets. So perhaps take 2? One for his room and bathroom?

Rugby ball alarm clock sounds ideal. He will need one that gets louder and louder!

Any tips for cycling around London ? He hasn't done that for ages and he says it's the cheapest and fastest way to get to and fro uni. Do medic students need a big satchel bag? City map? Isn't everything online, macs etc?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Yes to bins. And bathmat (small one - Primark do them) as en suite will be tiny. Cleaning stuff if he does have en suite as cleaning it will be down to him.
scary mum
DIY Mum

Post by DIY Mum »

Thanks for the link- guest55. Covers quite a bit!

Ah, yes - he'll need his cleaning equipment, also, herbs and spices! And a small kettle to steam his face !?! :shock: :roll:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now