mad?

Re: University moving list

Post by mad? »

Big hugs Copella
mad?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I found that a trip to top up household supplies (including a few favourite foody treats) was handy - then a hug and a farewell as DC went off to a meal with others - agree with Bumblebeez it is best ASAP!

I saved the 70s music for the trip home :lol: ( it was just me doing the trip - rest of family said goodbye at home)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

copella wrote:
Bumblebeez wrote:
Very best wishes to all those going off and especially to those being left behind.
And after the drop off, (get out of the way ASAP) something fun to do, so you don't feel bereft.
We were planning on taking him out to eat and spending time in the city he is going to before the inevitable goodbye. I already feel bereft and he hasnt even gone yet.
Mmm...

I had much the same plan, especially since I was staying overnight in university conference accommodation, also I was only allowed to park at the hall of residence for about fifteen minutes. I ended up having a nice long swim and eating supper alone in my room, while DS1 'bonded' with his flatmates (whose parents had all gone back home) over free pizza :( . Actually, not very :( - I was a bit sad that we hadn't really said goodbye 'properly', but more happy that he was getting on with settling in. And he was suitably contrite (even if he did also forget to send me a card for my birthday a few days later :evil:).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Seriously, get out of there as soon as possible. It's tough but they want to get going with their new life, bond with their flatmates etc. I remember being desperate for my poor mum to go and I very much had that in mind when we dropped DD last year.
Last edited by scary mum on Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It depends on how the uni organises hall arrival. In DS's case it was done by surname over a weekend and he was the only one there on his floor - so we could help get his stuff in, help him move furniture, unpack and get the kettle on without cramping his style.

He then put music on, propped his door open and got the biscuits out ... and we left.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

scary mum wrote:Seriously, get out of there as soon as possible. It's tough but they want to get going with their new life, bond with their flatmates etc. I remember being desperate for my poor mum to go and I very much had that in mind when we dropped DD last year.
My mother was not happy that I just wanted to get on with student life and didn't want her to hang around - made a big deal of it :roll: so I was keen not to embarrass DCs when they started at Uni.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

My mum drove me to the station, saw me off on the train to London and went back home. Or possibly, to work - she was a teacher and this was a Monday morning in September, ten days or so into the school term. I was going off start an integrated nursing / HV course (although eventually I decided not to complete the Health Visitor part) and I can't remember anyone else's parents coming with them, either. I had already sent most of my stuff on ahead in a trunk by rail, under the old 'passenger luggage in advance' scheme, so just had my rather battered blue suitcase to lug along with me. And yes, my trunk had actually arrived safely when I got there :lol: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
copella

Post by copella »

mad? wrote:Big hugs Copella
Thanks Mad?

Ok I get the message but we will go out to eat anyway and he can join us if he wants. The arrivals are in alphabetical order so hoping to be able to stay longer than 15 mins. Every time I look at the pile it just gets bigger God knows how it will fit in the car or the teeny tiny room.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

copella wrote: Every time I look at the pile it just gets bigger God knows how it will fit in the car or the teeny tiny room.

Vacuum bags for transport of duvets etc
don't take suitcases / holdalls - put clothes / bedding / towels in IKEA bags

when in the room think about under bed / top of wardrobe boxes
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS1 took a 65 litre rucksack with his duvet and compressible clothing in. 'Everyday' backpack for laptop and a few other bits and pieces and lots of large supermarket bags for practically everything else. Shirts and a couple of jackets travelled in a 'disposable' M&S suit carrier, rescued from one of DH's online purchases.

Upon arrival, the car was emptied in record time by student volunteers, who managed to carry nearly all of DS1's stuff up to his flat (fortunately only on the first floor) in the time that it took him to walk across the courtyard to collect his keys :lol: