Empty nest

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

moved

Empty nest

Post by moved »

Golly, it's hard. DD doing well in Madrid and DS happy in Bristol, but DM feeling the gaping hole!
Daogroupie

Re: Empty nest

Post by Daogroupie »

I have an empty nest sibling who is feeling the empty house.

But texts and email make it a lot easier than the phone calls through the operator that were the rule of the day when I was at University. DG
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

It could be worse, they could be still with you for the foreseeable future like my DS1 :roll:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Persevere!

Mlle Yoyo has just gone home.

Mlle Yoyo in Paris and young Mr Yoyo in Bristol.

When you go to see them, or they come to see you, you forget the messy rooms and confrontations! Absence really does make the heart grow fonder!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

yoyo123 wrote:Persevere!

Mlle Yoyo has just gone home.

Mlle Yoyo in Paris and young Mr Yoyo in Bristol.

When you go to see them, or they come to see you, you forget the messy rooms and confrontations! Absence really does make the heart grow fonder!
We only have DS1 away so far (although the nest was temporarily empty for a week in the summer when the younger two were off at the Essex International Jamboree). He phones occasionally - 'Two corners have snapped off my Railcard', being the message I got this afternoon :roll: - and Facebook can be quite informative, of course. He was tagged last night in a couple of photos which genuinely make clubbing in Birmingham look like a delightfully wholesome activity. Which we would naturally rather like to believe :lol: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
moved

Post by moved »

Seeing both next weekend. :D
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

moved wrote:Seeing both next weekend. :D
I dropped my eldest off at University two weekends back and since then she comes home on a Thursday evening and goes back on a Sunday night.No lectures on a Friday.Absence does make the heart grow fonder.The year abroad and summer away has left her wanting to come home more often. Apart from it being easier for her to do her work, she says its cheaper for her.Just been to drop her off at the rail station.We are really blessed.The children are healthy and happy.

I have been really sad today.Railing against the injustices in life hence my posting of my poem on the life of a toad on the poetry thread in everything.In a positive mood in the morning and the fact Lewis Hamilton had lost to Rosberg in Japan hadn't altered that but the text from a friend made me question the fairness of life.Life and fate can be so unfair.The text was about his youngest son.The text read;

"Hi ......,

I am afraid it is not good news.They need to amputate .........'s leg.A date for surgery has not yet been set.After that the prognosis is 6 to 9 months.The lung cancers have not been reduced by the chemo.There are alternatives they can try post op but success rates are low."

I don't know how he was able to put this in words.In my reply among other things about not giving up and keeping fighting I quoted you sometimes need to go in the darkness in order to see the stars.

Students have been going back to Oxford University from last weekend.He should have been starting his fourth year.

An empty nest can take different forms.He and they don't deserve this.I still live in hope they don't have an empty nest.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
KB

Post by KB »

To see your child suffer is awful. To watch them go through this must be close to unbearable.
Those of us who have children who are able to fly the nest and continue with their lives are indeed blessed.

Wishing you strength quasimodo as you support your friends. You and they are in my prayers.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Thank you KB for your thoughts and prayers.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Unfortunately,QM,I can't give you my prayers for I have none to give but I can give you all my love.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now