Fresher's week 'bonding'

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tom's mum

Fresher's week 'bonding'

Post by Tom's mum »

Having just read update on Y7 bonding trip, console yourself with this sobering thought - just seven years to go until they're 'bonding' during Fresher's Week, totally and utterly beyond your control.

Beginning to regret being able to access my DS's Facebook account - guys wearing miniskirts in the local town centre on their second night (yep, second night) away from home?! Zip wire's nothing by comparison ...
zorro

Post by zorro »

Oh dear!
Seems things get worse as the years go by!
Good Luck!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

or better :wink:
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

Am glad I chose not to access daughter's Facebook!

Laughed when she told me that someone in her block asked for flat with smokers and then discovered when he got there that his Mum had accessed his accommodation request online and (unbeknownst to him) changed it to non-smoking!

Further, one person requested 'smoking' but got more than they bargained for.

Beware!
melinda

Post by melinda »

As we are talking about university here - can anyone give me an idea of a monthly allowance (from the bank of mum and dad) for a student in halls these days??
What does everyone else "donate"? :D or maybe that should be :cry:
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

It very much depends where your child is and whether they are in catered or self-catered halls. London is obviously more expensive than say Sheffield.

When we asked around it seemed to vary between £55 to £100 per week if self-catering, catered would be less. It obviously also depends whether you're expecting them to pay for books, mobile, etc or you're prepared to see that as an 'extra'.

We picked a figure in between with a review option after a couple of terms bearing in mind that Fresher's Week is quite expensive as are the cost of essential books, etc.

So, it really is a case of 'how long is a piece of string'....
melinda

Post by melinda »

Yes, thanks for that, I can see your point, there are a lot of variants. The freshers week does seem to have been quite expensive and, although we purchased a lot of books before she started, my daughter has been advised to buy yet more!!
My daughter is in catered halls, but there are still things to buy. I have set the figure at £200 a month at present and we shall have to wait and see how long that lasts!
fm

Post by fm »

I think it is as much or as little as you wish to pay.

We have agreed to pick up my daughter's tuition fees but only if she graduates. The rest has been mainly funded by her own efforts.

She has worked summers since she was 16 and weekends, spending half and saving half. She saved £2500 and I matched it with £2000. She paid for her self-catering accomodation, leaving her £1500 to buy food, books, drink etc. This ran out at Easter. I then gave her £25 a week on which to survive. Within 2 weeks she'd found herself a job so she didn't have to get by.

This year she spent summer working and saved for her flat (£3000 for year). She now works two days a week (£90) and lives on that. She is careful with her money because she's come by it the hard way. She is not currently in debt at all.

Yes, I appreciate students doing medicine etc. are not able to work and get a degree, but the vast majority of courses have an incredibly light timetable so most can do a job and be full-time students if they are willing.

I also made sure she could cook so she didn't have to waste a large amount of money buying takeaways which a lot of her fellow students do. I buy her a £100 of groceries at the beginning of each term to make sure she always has food at the very least. I do not pay for her books or her mobile.

Is she more unhappy than her best friend who had her accomodation, fees and another £5000 on top, all paid for by her parents? Not at all.

Call me old-fashioned but the more money they have, the more they can spend on things you may not wish them to buy.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Fm,

The vast majority of Maths and Science courses have a large timetable of lectures - four or five hours a day plus tutorials and work to complete for these.

There's no way most undergrads have time for a job - I worked for 8 weeks each summer holiday and that was enough or I would never have done enough work to get through my degree.
fm

Post by fm »

By medicine etc. I was including science and maths.
Arts courses have a very light timetable and working is quite possible if the student is organised.
I also believe working in the summer is good for young folk; it makes them grow up a little and have some appreciation of how lucky they are compared to people who have not enjoyed the benefits of education.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now