Difficult subject...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KB

Post by KB »

Most parents with children sitting the 11 plus are not very 'up' with the systems & I wouldn't have thought that a call from the tutor to ask the child how they got on would necessarily cause alarm.
Its only if the children who have been asked to 'bring out' questions mention it to a parent that it will come to light. Since the children have no prior experience either they wouldn't necessarily realise that it is 'odd' - a fact that it worrying in itself because they are then going to assume such behaviour is acceptable!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I am a tutor and am horrified that any tutor would even think of cheating like that.

Unfortunately there is no governing body for tutors.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wLAqoVr/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wLAqoVr/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
TP123

Post by TP123 »

Some tutors are doing what Trixystone describes.

I was in two minds about posting this because I didn't know why such a thread was not on this forum already. It isn't new to this year. I wasn't sure if I was over reacting or misunderstanding something hence why I thought to ask if others were also aware.

When I phoned the council the junior admin lady seemed to be horrified and said that the only way to move forward was to make a complaint against the one tutor i knew for sure was doing this.

The problem is that while identical papers are given across the two days, and the kids are not body searched after the Sat exam (which i don't advocate is right) - then the cheating will carry on regardless of how many "name and shame" we do. The council needs to rethink. I have made the call and would encourage others to do the same.

I am pro grammar school - just dont think Redbridge system is fair given the loop hole. Surely they can get rid of the practice papers and do the actual tests in that time! Or separate papers normalised for each day?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I agree TP123, it is a ridiculous system
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wLAqoVr/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wLAqoVr/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
TP123

Post by TP123 »

I REALLY hope i don't sound bitter with the whole 11+ - given the level of accuracy in information they get, we are already bigging up the local comp and won't be talking about the grammar school until we know results.

I would do all this again as I think the amount DS has learned in training for 11+ has been useful in itself. So no regrets.
Milla

Post by Milla »

TweetyPie wrote:(one boy managed 70 questions!).
quite apart from everything else, how dare he have his precious time wasted, genning up for someone else!!
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Mitasol, we were wary and did not pick up the phone when the tutor called
Oh! I do see why you're concerned, if tutors are calling you on the day of the exam. That seems OTT.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I would name and shame the tutor. Just because others are also doing this doesn't, IMO, reduce the serious nature of the offence :(
kooldudess

Post by kooldudess »

I am distraught that the Saturday kids may be disadvantaged due to the questionable practices of parents and tutors of some of the Sunday kids.

I didn't think anything of it when a cople of weeks ago I said to a mum how come your DS is sitting the paper on Sunday, she shrugged her shoulders and said everyone where her DS goes is sitting it on a Sunday. As I read these posts the penny dropped.

ITS NOT FAIR!

Some of these kids have worked harder than I ever did and to think some will not make, not because they were not up to it but because they were cheated. I have read all the posts and its not about remembring the whole paper, just two or three difficult vocab questions will be the difference between pass or fail.

To make matters worse I am led to believe the resit papers (both VR and NVR) due to be sat sometime near Easter by children who were not well enough this time are the same as well - Please tell me I am wrong!

I for one will be complaining to Redbridge in the morning!
babes

Diffcult Subject

Post by babes »

hi all, I have been reading these replies and feel quite sickened by the thought that there are people out that will encourge children to do such a thing as cheat. I know we all want the best for our children but this is not the way.

If those children on Sunday have particpated in this activity it means they have not got into that school on there own merits. My DD sat the exam on Saturday and I told her about this post, her face went white and said that all the hard work that she has put in may have gone to waste if children on Sunday have benefited. I felt so bad because I have always said to her that if you want something so bad and give your 100% then you are sure to get it.

I will be calling Redbridge and complaining because this is my daughters future we are talking about.

I have a friend whose daughter sat the exam on Sunday she said for religious reasons and I know the family are far from religious makes me wonder if they were part of this disgusting act.

Sorry if I have caused offence to anyone but i am just so angry at what I have heard.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now