Difficult subject...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I just want to say I'm so sorry for the children and parents of the Saturday group and, of course, the Sunday ones who were not involved in this. I can't imagine having to explain this to my child, in fact I'm not even sure if I would. :(
Trixystone

Post by Trixystone »

TP123 wrote:We (actually my DS) sat the exam on Saturday and the last thing he wants to do is resit the exam. Its not fair on him - he (like many others) are relieved that it is all over and are happily chilling out. What a nightmare it would be to say that he has to do it all again.
I am of the same opinion as TP123 on this one. My DD also sat the exam on the Saturday and we are all glad it is over. I could not imagine having to tell her that she has to do it all over again.
babes

Difficult Subject

Post by babes »

Hi all

I have sent an email to Redbridge council this morning so once I receive a reply I will inform all. I spoke to another parent last night and she confirms her daughter was asked by a supplementary centre to remember two questions, the naïve parent thought they were asking for examples in the future not realising that they were providing Sunday children with the answers. Although her daughter was asked to remember the questions she did not get a phone call that evening.

On a more serious note I have also heard that back handers are being given to guarantee a place for a child. This has shocked me even further and now to a certain extent feel that I wish I had placed Chelmsford as my first choice and not Woodford County. I do not want my child surrounded by girls who have been forced to cheat their way to a place and come in contact with parents who feel that these acts are justifiable.

Again I apologise to those who feel offended by my concerns.
salaam

Redbridge verbal

Post by salaam »

With reference to "looking for all" saying that all candidates should resit the paper - isn't it fair to say that the Sunday candidates should resit the paper? Why should the Saturday students have to suffer as there is no way they could have cheated - one they didn't cheat the system by opting for Sunday (unless on religious grounds or medical) and two, they didn't have the tutors telling them the questions from the day before - Of course, not all Sunday students would have cheated but it is unfair to penalise the Saturday ones who couldn't have. Aplogies if you sat on Sun and didn't cheat! ~(it's a joke)

I am extemely disappointed that the majority of kids have worked so hard to earn a place on merit - this is a right shambles - and to now hear about back handers - that is a serious allegation.

I tried out various tutors, but in the end I just tutored my son at home - he learnt the methods and techniques from a really good tutor and then was able to apply these methods and techniques to any questions in any paper. Through lots of practice and through extensive vocab work he did quite well - He worked really hard - I hope he passes as he jolly well deserves to just like hundreds of others who have also worked hard and deserve to earn their place without cheating -

I am pretty sure knowing one or two questions before hand would have definitely secured a place for him - it would have made a difference - as he said two or three were hard - obviously for those who knew the questions beforehand, the whole paper would have been easy :!:

Really angry and infuriated eleven plus mum :evil: x

Apologies if I have said anything untoward - I know everyone is not guilty but those who are shouldn't be able to get away with it.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Salaam....I was merely saying that if I felt my child disadvantaged because the children sitting on Sunday had been given the answers I would prefer that the whole test was considered null and void and a new one to be taken by all children so that the playing field is level. I understand that it is a big ask for the children themselves, but if there is evidence of cheating it is the only fair way to proceed. If you are unlucky and do not pass I imagine you will always feel it is because the Sunday children had the advantage, surely you would wish to have another chance? It would be very difficult to pick on just the Sunday children because that woiuld lead to problems with standardisation and accusations of 'but they had an easier test' etc.
And no my child did not sit for any Redbridge schools, from another area altogether, just shocked that such things can go on at all. And also would wish that certainly in future this cannot happen again.

As ourmaninhavana said it is such a shame for the children involved, what a pity people go to such lengths. I hope the situation is resolved to the satisfaction of all concerned.
kooldudess

Post by kooldudess »

My husband wrote to Redbridge 11+ admissions and Councillor Gary Munro the cabinet member for Childrens Services. Cllr Munro replied immediately saying

"I have some sympathy for your view and am endeavouring to find out why we either don't run separate papers for the separate days or else run the whole exam on one day."

When he replies again I shall keep you updated.
kooldudess

Re: Difficult Subject

Post by kooldudess »

babes wrote:Hi all

On a more serious note I have also heard that back handers are being given to guarantee a place for a child.
Hi Babes, could you elaborate what you you mean, it sounds bad, just want to ensure I am not going off on a tangent.

Thanks
WP

Re: Difficult Subject

Post by WP »

babes wrote:On a more serious note I have also heard that back handers are being given to guarantee a place for a child.
If this is true, each of the parties is committing a criminal offence. You (or whoever you heard this from) should take whatever evidence you have to the police.
mw

Post by mw »

What a scene! Redbridge needs a thorough investigation and give everyone an accepted answer! Only thing I can say is that the system is completely flawed.
Blessed

Post by Blessed »

My daughter too took her test on Saturday. She too attended a tuition centre. They did ask children to bring out their scrap papers if they could but they were to be used for the next year entrants and they were not asked to hand them in by Saturday. We did not get any call from the tutor either. This centre actually stopped tutoring students a week before the exam.
I find it difficult to believe that tutors would actually ask for questions and use it for others. If all students knew that there would be a Saturday evening lesson, surely they would not tell the tutor the questions knowing fully well that they'll be at a disadvantage. Sorry, but I find this very hard to believe.
Redbridge should review the way they set the questions though.
I wouldn't panic if my child sat the exam on a Saturday though.

If indeed it is true then it'll be a minority of people that would have done this.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now