Difficult subject...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KP

Post by KP »

I have read this post and found it very disturbing. My DS took the Saturday exam and he used to also go to a tuition centre which had finished a week earlier. I do remember that the tutor had told the entire class to get any scraps/working out paper if any to aid them for next year tutoring. We did not receive any call on Saturday evening or infact as of today.

I strongly feel that such things may be happening but in small pockets and it should not happen. I also think tutors should not ask children to bring back any papers as it could lead them to being disqualified.

KEGS (CSSE) had different set of papers for people who could not sit the Saturday paper, hence it's time that Redbridge eduaction sit down and re-think on their exam strategy. I am sure it all boils down to money being spent to get those papers done from NFER. If Redbridge is providing Grammar school then the exam process should be very transparent.

On a separate note: I still find it hard to believe that Redbridge do their re-sit for people who could not attend because of being sick in the month of April. I am told that they declare less than 120 seats on 1st March and keep a few (dont know how many) for the late sitters. When all the papers are computer marked I don't understand why they do the delay.
dandy

Post by dandy »

A neighbour of mine said that a private tutor said that she had details of the actual exam papers. A friend said that a child near her road had bragged that `everything she had learned had come up` another parent had said that after the exam her daughter asked another child how she had got on and she said 'it was easy everything I had learned came up`, a few children that took the exam on the Sunday said that 'it was easy' and that at least 10 of the questions that came up they had done just before the exam and the list goes on. I am extremely angry and disappointed with Redbridge Council, this issue has been going on for years and yet they have done nothing! My child has worked extremely hard for this exam just like many other honest children. Even if a child gets a hold of a few answers it could give them the pass they need and our honest and hardworking children end up losing out. We already have to deal with the issue of standardisation. Although both me and my child are glad the exam is over, I believe the only way to make this fair for all is for everyone to resit the exam on the same day. If we don't make a stand now we will be letting our children down. How on earth do you explain to a child that it is not because they didn't do well enough but because others cheated. Not only that we wouldl be sending out a message that it is ok to cheat. The children will have learned how to cheat and they will pass it on to their children's children. It needs to stop now.
kooldudess

Post by kooldudess »

Friend of my husband's who works at Linton House told him that two youngsters came in on Tuesday 26 January 2010 to do the 11+. No idea why (my guess, could be special needs children?). With the way this exam has been administered it was probably the same paper! These children may be completely innocent but at school children will speak about the paper like "What did you put for this question or that question". Redbridge's conduct of the whole process has left a huge question mark over the credibility of this exam. How many times is the same paper sat, at my last count it is 4, yes 4!

1. Saturday 16th
2. Sunday 17th
3. Tuesday 26th
4. April
dandy

Post by dandy »

One of the kids at a local school has been bragging that a friend of the family works for Redbridge where they set the papers.

One parent made an interesting point 'how can a large number of 10/11 year olds be gaining 97%+ in these exams!'.

I am angry and very very disappointed with Redbridge Council. We as parents need to challenge the authenticity of this 11+ exam. My child has worked blood, sweat and tears for a grammar school place as I am sure many other honest hard-working children have. I am certainly not going to turn a blind eye on this one. There are too many angry parents and if enough parents complain to the head of department then Redbridge will have no choice but to act. If not, then the media will have to get involved and perhaps legal action will have to be taken.

Yes I have also counted 4 sittings on these exams, how ridiculous is that!
babes

Post by babes »

Hi guys

Yes this is very disturbing and I have voiced my concerns and have had a reply back form Redbridge council they have stated that they are investigating. But since then I have not heard anything. I have been informed that this matter has been raised to member of the council ie councillors and they are investigating.

I am not convienced that this matter will be resolved they may just brush this under the carpet especially if this has been happening for a few years.

How dare Redbridge council let this go on.

I plead again to those parent that know that wrong has been done to call Redbridge Council, together we may beable to reslove this matter.
leo

Post by leo »

I have been reading this post with utter disbelief! I really do empathise with those children and their parents whose place may be lost due to it being given to another child who has cheated!

My child would not be sitting the 11+ till next year but she is already working very hard for this (and very anxious about the test) and to think that she may not have a fair playing field really appalls me.

I would urge everyone on this forum to complain to Redbridge council as it is simply morally wrong that some children should be at a disadvantage due to tutors/parents who have no principles.
Please could those who have written to the council either PM me or post a copy of the context of your letter (as I'm not very good at letter writing) so that I can have some help in composing my letter of complaint.
Many thanks.
moved

Post by moved »

A reply to an earlier point regarding Essex. Essex does have two days, rather than one, but the paper on the second day is different from that on the first.

Regarding phoning pupils on the day of the exam, I tell my pupils that once the exam is over it is over. Try not to talk about the paper and just relax. Many of them phone me to chat about the exam, just to let off steam or maybe just to hear reassuring words.

Like most of us I would never ask about individual questions as I wouldn't want to put a child under that sort of pressure after a very stressful day.
mw

Post by mw »

Any update from Redbridge? Does anyone know how LA is going to investigate this issue?
kooldudess

Post by kooldudess »

The police have been called in to investigate tis issue of "cheating"!

I just read the front cover story in the Ilford Recorder. This forum is even referred to in the story. Hopefully we will now get some clarity. It reports that the police are "working with exam paper provider to review the papers for cheating".

Redbridge will have to look at how they administer the exam in the future and look into the fiasco over Christmas and the new year. If nothing else this now can't be swept under the carpet.
fusspot99

Post by fusspot99 »

I agree with 'moved'. I also do the same thing. But very often, they are so excited that it is all over that they do ring almost out of euphoria. Very often children are excited because they recognise and are able to answer a question that they originally found difficult.

I, like 'moved' would NEVER ask a child to memorise questions, and even if a child told me what had come up, I would not pass that information on.

Generally, the majority of them do not want to discuss once the exam is over.