Redbridge Shake-up

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Abba

Redbridge Shake-up

Post by Abba »

With the whole shake up taking place around the Redbridge exams system, I was wondering if that will have an effect on the question types that DC will be tested on. Traditionally it has been 21 VR types and the 4 NVR types. And the order on the day remains a mystery at the moment too. Is it going to be VR followed by NVR or the other way round? If anyone has an idea grateful if you could share that.
The exam is due to last an excruciating 6 hours including practice sessions! Yikes! :roll: Wish they could device a shorter exam perhaps excluding long practice tests.
:?
Chai

Re: Redbridge Shake-up

Post by Chai »

For the CSSE exams, the exam format changed slightly this year. VR remained the same but English was overhauled. Maybe review other papers with her, like the ones from Athey Educational or Learning Together, if she has not already done them.

Athey also has MCQ versions now and they are an excellent set of papers to do. The extra types are really not very difficult at all, if she can already to the 21 types. It may well just be the 21 types but doing slightly extra, if you have time, won't hurt.

Good luck for the exams. I wish you all the best.
Abba

Post by Abba »

Thanks, Chai. This is very helpful.

You are right about CSSE English. We parents try our best to prepare our dc to deal with what might come their way…sometimes the focus is too narrow and they get thrown by new surprises. Though some guidelines always help.

So far we’ve been concentrating more on Nfer/GL, Walsh and Susan Daughtry. Will definitely try Athey too. Quick clarification though; would you recommend both VR and NVR from Athey mcq or one is better than the other?

And many thanks for your good wishes…we are trying to gather as many as we can! :wink:
Marabu

Post by Marabu »

Perhaps they are planning something really different? Why would they need such a long time for the whole test? The St. Michael's test in Barnet took the same amount of time, but my dd did four papers there. At WCH there are only two... :shock:

Am a bit worried now! But then again, this might be a good thing. If they ask question types that no one has prepared for, everyone is in the same boat.
Abba

Post by Abba »

Perhaps they are planning something really different? Why would they need such a long time for the whole test?
The letter outlines that the test will comprise of NVR and VR inc. pratice sessions - so I don't think that they will introduce new subject areas.

However technique types may be anyones guess?? Pl don't be alarmed..its just a thought.
arrgee1991

Post by arrgee1991 »

I think they need to shake up the admissions for the Redbridge schools.

I live in Redbridge yet there are large swathes of the "common catchment area that lie outside the borough. The same applies to the faith schools. If residents of other boroughs want grammars/faith schools then they should build their own!

They should also scrap the test for the grammar, as it seems to be corrupt. There are about sixty primaries/prep schools in Redbridge. Simply having a quota for the top two/four boys and girls in each school would achieve a broader entry, and give children whose primaries are not as good the opportunity to attend the grammar school.

Of course, the irony of it all is I am going to end up sending my son to a private school in Waltham Forest or a state school in Essex because of the admissions policy in my own borough.
Hopefuldad

Post by Hopefuldad »

So what happens if your child is third in their class and only two qualify for GS.

Unfortunately that is not the answer, perhaps more selective schools is what is needed. Due to the lack of places the competition is very high. The system can only become what the people make it. It seems corrupt because, allegedly, tutors may have transgressed and it is parents who support them by sending their kids there.
arrgee1991

Post by arrgee1991 »

Hopefuldad wrote:So what happens if your child is third in their class and only two qualify for GS.

Unfortunately that is not the answer, perhaps more selective schools is what is needed. Due to the lack of places the competition is very high. The system can only become what the people make it. It seems corrupt because, allegedly, tutors may have transgressed and it is parents who support them by sending their kids there.
If they are third they go to another school. Currently there are 120 places so if you are 121st you miss out.

Doubtless, many of those who sit entrance examinations meet the standard and are rejected. And when a large proportion of the successful candidates have the same tutor, with alleged insider information, they have an unfair advantage.

More grammar schools may be the answer but that is not going to happen. The government has continually blocked the opening of grammar schools.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... areas.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TimDickens

Post by TimDickens »

Hi all,

I am a reporter from the Ilford Recorder and I am looking to speak to parents waiting to hear, or who have just heard ab out their child's school place.

Is the system in Redbridge fair? Are you happy?

Email me on tim.dickens@archant.co.uk or call 0208 477 3821.

Thanks - and good luck!

Tim
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now