2011 redbridge results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
S2010

Re: 2011 redbridge results

Post by S2010 »

I've just sent this to Tim Dickens from the Ilford Recorder. It's a bit long and I'm not sure if it was the right thing to do but what else can one do.

Hi Tim

I want take this opportunity to highlight the failures of the current secondary school admissions system operated by Redbridge and the anguish suffered by young children, and their parents by giving you details of our situation as an example.

My son is due to transfer to secondary school in September 2011. He currently attends a local primary school and has consistently achieved high academic standards. Having consulted his class teacher, my wife and I felt that like his sister, who is at Woodford County High School, it would be worthwhile entering him for the 11+ plus test, with a view to gaining a place at Ilford County High School (ICHS). He went to tuition for almost 18 months after regular school, and put in great effort. Soon after the 11+ examinations in December 2010, rumours surfaced about irregularities and cheating involving a locally based private tutor. Initially, I was suspicious of these rumours which appeared to be unfounded and based on hearsay.

The results came out on Tuesday, and unfortunately my son did not get a place at ICHS; nonetheless we are very proud of him and we know he will be a success at any school he attends. This evening my son mentioned that two girls in his class obtained a place at Woodford County High School, both of whom are not academically gifted; in fact, my son explained that both girls are in the bottom set of maths and english classes. He also said that both girls had attended the private tutor accused of cheating. My wife knows the girls as they have been in the same class as my son since the age of 3. Parents and teachers are aware whether a child is able to undertake the 11+ test, and I know how difficult they are; I struggle with some questions. Although there is no clear evidence, based on this latest example and other instances there does appear to be some peculiarities over the 11+ process. I genuinely feel that my son has been cheated of a place at a school where he would have excelled at. I have no options and any complaint to the council will be dismissed out of hand.

At the moment private 11+ tutoring has become a small industry within Redbridge, and tutors are earning vast sums (most of this I imagine is not declared to HMRC) and parents are doing everything possible to get the 'golden ticket' . Ultimately, I feel that the schools and the children will suffer. Both WCHS and ICHS are very good schools, but this must be put into context. Children with a lower ability will suffer attending these schools if entry is gained undeservedly. The pace of the work is suited to academically gifted children. Therefore, I believe there needs to be some input from primary schools, such as to enter children that consistently show high academic performance rather than an open to all rat race. In addition, primary schools should take over tutoring or preparing children they have put forward for the 11+ test and private tutoring should be at the least discouraged.

The second point relates to the absurdity of my local catchment area. My son has been awarded a place at our catchment school, Wanstead High School, which is a very good school with good standards; however we live on the other side (near Beehive Lane) of Redbridge roundabout and a 5 minute walk from Valentines High School. My son will have to take the bus from Eastern Avenue and spend between 30 min to 1 Hr to get to his secondary school because of some catchment area that was agreed before the completion of the current A406 dual carriage way. There is great talk of trying to encourage children to walk to school and help the environment. Well, the council's catchment areas appear to do the opposite.

This whole episode makes me want to scream — and the worst thing is my younger son is in year 4 and in two years time we will have to go through this all over again!
cinders

Post by cinders »

Hi S2010,

I can definitely relate to your experience. It has been an agonising wait for the results especially in light of all the cheating allegations.

Thankfully, my child has achieved a very respectable score and has been offered a place at the grammar school.

A girl in her class who claimed she had already done the test paper 3x has also passed - surprise! surprise! She is a lovely girl and am sure she didn't know her tutor allegedly may have given her the real test papers in her lessons. However, whether she deserves a place is certainly questionable as she is a mediocre student. There are other children who would be more deserving of a place in the grammar due to their academic abilities.

This whole fiasco with the council seemingly standing by is damaging our children's future and integrity.
Meanwhile, bright children are being cheated of a place in the grammar schools - totally defeats the object.

I personally, feel extremely frustrated that there is nothing we can do about this.

Good luck to your son, hope he reaches his true potential in Wanstead High.

cinders
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Why don't all parents publish their children's scores. Whether your child got in or not, its good to relay the ranking so that everyone appreciates the spread.

My DD...

NVR 56/75 - 103
VR 81/90 - 117

Total Standardised 220 / Ranked 190

Not offered at WCHS

Obviously the alleged cheats will be in two minds about whether to publish their children's scores....

In any case, I wish every child that worked hard and gained FAIR entry to ICHS and WCHS, the best of luck for the future. May you all be blessed with success, happiness and everything you long for in life.

At the same time, if any parents are reading this and know that their child benefited from seeing the 11+ papers in advance, well I pity you. Your children may have gained entry, but I'm afraid both you and they have lost something far more valuable - your integrity!
fatboyslim

Post by fatboyslim »

Hi, i think that was a great letter to send to the Ilford Recorder. Similar situation in my sons school.
He didn't get in, is on waiting list, but is going to Bancroft's.
I think council have open and shut case, and have told my local councillor and admissions team leader this!
The people who cheated, yes, they have lost their integrity.
dd34

Post by dd34 »

I echo the posts above. I also have heard of a similar situation, children without the ability gaining places. A very sorry situation for Redbridge grammar schools, the heads should be worried about the reputation of their schools being tarnished. Redbridge should be ashamed of the way they handled this whole situation.

My DD did not get a place but will be going to Bancrofts, we are lucky to to have other options, many do not have that same opportunity and will have felt cheated of a place.

Congratulations to all those who gained a place fairly who will thrive in these schools. Those who didn't will struggle throughout their schooling.
ICHS 123

Post by ICHS 123 »

hello,does anyone know the pass mark for the Ichs and wchs tests this year?
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

tomcat wrote:Obviously the alleged cheats will be in two minds about whether to publish their children's scores....
I'm not sure I follow your logic here, tomcat - anyone who got in will have got a high score and we can't tell from the numbers whether it was obtained fairly or not.

Anyhow, for the record, here are DS's scores (June birthday):

Non-verbal raw: 64/75
Non verbal standardised: 116
Verbal raw: 83/90
Verbal standardised: 121
Total: 237

We will not be taking the place, however, as DS is going to Forest, so I hope somebody at the top of the waiting list will be made very happy.

ICHS, pass marks this year were 225 with a cutoff of 2.53 miles (WCHS) and 224 with a cutoff of 2.558 miles (ICHS).
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

I'm not sure I follow your logic here, tomcat - anyone who got in will have got a high score and we can't tell from the numbers whether it was obtained fairly or not.
muffinmonster, I agree that we cannot tell who cheated and who did not from the scores but my comment was made on the assumption that these parents have consciences and hence may be trying to play down their children's achievements or indeed lack of them. Thats all I meant by my comment.

Furthermore, if my child had cheated and subsequently passed ICHS or WCHS entry, I'd probably be playing it down right now. If you think about it, even their child's celebration would be muted as they face the realisation of what they have done. Would their parents want to put their scores on this forum as a permanent reminder ? I think not.

That was my only point.
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

tomcat wrote:
muffinmonster, I agree that we cannot tell who cheated and who did not from the scores but my comment was made on the assumption that these parents have consciences.
Ah, but do they?! :roll:
I see what you mean, though.
mw

Post by mw »

muffinmonster wrote:
tomcat wrote:Obviously the alleged cheats will be in two minds about whether to publish their children's scores....

Anyhow, for the record, here are DS's scores (June birthday):

Non-verbal raw: 64/75
Non verbal standardised: 116
Verbal raw: 83/90
Verbal standardised: 121
Total: 237

We will not be taking the place, however, as DS is going to Forest, so I hope somebody at the top of the waiting list will be made very happy.

ICHS, pass marks this year were 225 with a cutoff of 2.53 miles (WCHS) and 224 with a cutoff of 2.558 miles (ICHS).
I agree. I don't see Tomcat's logic either. For your record, here is dd's redbridge scores:

nvr raw: 70/75, standardised: 125
vr raw: 87/90, standardised: 127
total 252, top 20

DD passed Chelmsford with a high ranking as well. But we will not be taking either grammars, as she is going to choose from St paul and clsg. I am glad that dd achieved all these without taking any tuition. And I have been very sad to see all the cheating allegations year by year in Redbridge. Really feel for all the parents!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now