Phonics Tutor for late speaker

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

iMum

Phonics Tutor for late speaker

Post by iMum »

My DS is 4 years and he was very late on starting to speak (he started speaking at his 3years 3months), so we were very worried and have been to speech therapy. Now he is doing well but at speech therapy they said he still have some difficulties in sounding double consonants like SW in swing etc. Any one knows any good English Trainers/ English Tutors in Redbridge Area, who could help to over come this Phonics Problems? Please let me have any contact details of any good Trainer/ Tutor to my PM.
drummer

Re: Phonics Tutor for late speaker

Post by drummer »

Most important is what you are doing with him. It is very easy to let pronunciation slide 'in family. Ie. you know what he means so you don't correct because it seems 'mean' to do it all the time. Honestly, I would learn what you can from you SLT and have the confidence to help him yourself. Lots of little corrections throughout the day and worth HUGELY more than a weekly session with a tutor/therapist.

A mirror is very helpful so you child can see you and then himself making the sounds. And catch him doing it well, ie notice when he manages without your help and prompting and praise it.

The BEST thing we learned was not to accept how my son was speaking. We would say, "sorry, couldn't catch that" and he would TRY 'again'.

Make sure that he learns to read with a good systematic synthetic phonics programme and if he isn't getting this at school then maybe that is a useful tutor to find as that will support the language development. I find that children who are not taught to read properly (ie with maximised phonics) often do not fine tune their auditory and aural discrimination skills.
iMum

Re: Phonics Tutor for late speaker

Post by iMum »

I just wanted to thank drummer for kind advices and comments. It was very helpful.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now