2014 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

eastern

Re: 2014 entry

Post by eastern »

Likewise new to the site and DS yr5 and started preparing for the exams this year.

We are preparing for Ilford/Latymer and Queen Elizabeth.

Preparation is the key and planning your week/weekends every week now until the exams

DS goes 2 days tuition other 2 days during the week he will do 1hr VR & 1hr NVR work.
Friday off

Weekends - Sat 4 hrs - 2hrs morning doing VR practice papers.....afternoon his time to enjoy have a break,followed by further 2 hrs papers early evening
Sunday -repeat NVR and go over papers mark ....reading and dictonary work

Ensure they have something to look forward to they enjoy as a reward.

It will be tough but to give your DS best chance put a strategy plan together both you and DS happy work to.
best of luck
LittleMissMama

Post by LittleMissMama »

Wow!

Thats some schedule!

That is the sort of thing that I feel I need to implement as soon as possible. The competition is so fierce that there is no choice but to be diciplined.
Personally, I think the hardest aspect is as a parent to stick to this regime.

Have you found it easy to motivate your child? I find this to be the greatest battle at he moment.

Think I need to seriously sit down and make a work plan.....

Wish me luck!!!
:roll:
fifilarue

Post by fifilarue »

eastern wrote:Preparation is the key and planning your week/weekends every week now until the exams

DS goes 2 days tuition other 2 days during the week he will do 1hr VR & 1hr NVR work.
Friday off

Weekends - Sat 4 hrs - 2hrs morning doing VR practice papers.....afternoon his time to enjoy have a break,followed by further 2 hrs papers early evening
Sunday -repeat NVR and go over papers mark ....reading and dictonary work
Wow that seems very intense. I didn't do as much work for my degree as you are proposing for this 11+!! What contingency plans are you making in case of burn-out?
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

I think that's too much as well. Your DC needs time to assimilate the information and needs to do lots of lovely reading for fun as well as doing all the things that 9 year olds need to do like play out and make a mess!

I have known several DC who have been having tuition since Year 3 and they still did not get in anywhere because of burnout and because many of the top schools interview and set tests / ask awkward questions in interview precisely to work out who has been over-tutored and who would not cope with the pressure on their own.
KhadijahA-R

Post by KhadijahA-R »

Wow, tough schedule. I have had a very casual approach so far. Lots of things to increase vocab like wordsearch and crossword puzzles because he sees these as fun :D
I am doing around half an hour a day at the moment on more formal practice, would probably increase very gradually, without overwhelming my ds.
I haven't even started properly on Bond books yet, especially with all the snow fun we have had :D :D
eastern

Post by eastern »

It may seem tough on paper but the weekend sessions he gets plenty of breaks in between.

The competition for these grammer schools is intense so for 8-9 months to sacrifice and give it best chance to succeed is worth the stretch.
You need to be hitting at least 90% on the VR /NVR practice papers to give your DC best chance to get a place.

DS doesn't complain and he still has his activities like going to his weekly footbal club in mornings on Saturday and playing indoor cricket

As i quote from Bond......."One chance One Choice".....the rest is down to you.

We also had made the decision when he started we would give it until New year and if he wasn't up to it we would pull him out.
You have to make that call and be realistic and only you know your DC best.
Rainbow Petals

Post by Rainbow Petals »

It makes sense that eastern is spending a lot of time with his/her child preparing as he is applying to three grammar schools after all which probably includes a lot of different examinations.
SJazy

Post by SJazy »

Hi All

I am new to this forum and also to 11 plus prep. A lot to do....

A local tutor where my son is going told me that this year, exam is going to be in July.

Any body heard any similar news???

regards
KhadijahA-R

Post by KhadijahA-R »

SJazy wrote:Hi All

I am new to this forum and also to 11 plus prep. A lot to do....

A local tutor where my son is going told me that this year, exam is going to be in July.

Any body heard any similar news???

regards
Well, since I found that quite alarming, I rang up Redbridge Admissions, and this is not true. The procedure will remain the same as 2013. The tests will be in early September, application forms will be available from mid-May, to be handed in by July.
SJazy

Post by SJazy »

Thank you so much :) Thats a relief......
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now