Sickness

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
natashasmum

Sickness

Post by natashasmum »

A new thread to discuss the issue of how many children have yet to take the exam due to being too ill on the day. My DD has said that a classmate of hers said that around 90 children have not taken the test due to being too ill on the day. This is one of her classmates mind and you know what kids can be like but what if it's true? Can't get through to the council today to confirm this. This could well put our placement (100 rank) at risk perhaps. Beginning to think that I should not have shared the good news after all.
Hopefuldad

Re: Sickness

Post by Hopefuldad »

Just came across this, fingers crossed for your DC, I think you will be fine.

But it is disappointing to hear that 90 kids still have to do the test after the results have. Been announced.

You would have thought that the second test would have been taken within a week of the first one. Shambles. Also gives these 90 kids so much additional time to prepare.
RSN

Post by RSN »

Hi Natashasmum, did you manage to speak to anyone to confirm the numbers?

I agree it is a shambles. My daughter is still waiting to sit the Late test, and there are several others waiting too. So when their papers are marked, the given ranking could very likely slip several places (though this is not mentioned in the letter).

Unfortunately, the reason we are waiting for the late test is our application was withdrawn (for reason unknown) and we were not notified. Only when I inquired why we hadn't received an exam invitation letter were we able to reinstate our registration, sadly not in time for the main exam session.

I would have been very happy to have the late test 1 week later. Especially when the child has geared up for it. Now it is Feb, and all the oomph has been lost. No real advantage, as the results are age-standardised, and of course our kids are now older, then when the cohort took the main exam.

tbh my child has not continued studying, and in fact it has caused more stress and anxiety than if it had been over with.

But, do be aware, the ranking given in the letters are only indications. Good luck.
RSN

Post by RSN »

To follow up. My daughter sat the Late WCH exam on Wed 20th Feb, and she said there were approx 50 children at her venue.

Regards.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Wow, I'm amazed so many sat the late exam with one week to go before allocation.

Hope it went well for your dd... It' s been a long old wait for you and an anxious time too, looking back at your previous threads.
HBR

Post by HBR »

Re. the late sitting of the 11+ for WCHS on Wed 20th Feb. When you say "her venue" are you suggesting that there were other venues also holding a late sitting of the exam? Were there boys and girls?

Do you know if the late exam was the same as the one in September?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now