How many registered applicants taking the test so far?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Fat pigeon

Re: How many registered applicants taking the test so far?

Post by Fat pigeon »

I was wondering as to why there has been a wave of applicants this year compared to past years!

My presumptions are that it must be due to the Essex cut-off limiting external intake to around 15%, as compared to the past, where I understand it was 100% on merit regardless of geographical origin.

I assume those who would have once taken the pressure off by spreading their bets to the wider fields are being restricted to the 2 Lbr gs. Also, the exam format I.e. with CEM & English may be off-putting.

The population increase in pupils may also be playing a part, as with changing demographics & awareness e.g. Aspiring Asians & Africans from Tower Hamlets & Newham getting on their bikes.

The recession also means that parents who could once afford private schools are saving money by sending their dcs to gs. (The cost of putting several children through private schools being exorbitant).

Isn't it about time that the schools acted pro-actively & increased class & school provision by sizes, including gs? There is a vast pool of talent that risks being demoralised & wasted due to bureaucratic fecklessness.

These children could be the vital ingredient that raises our game as a country in competition with the vast middle classes of India & China etc.

Surely, with parents & children expending vast amounts of energy, time & money, whilst achieving 90% in difficult exams, & then being sent to school alongside those who don't want to work, being dragged down into the pseudo-gangster lifestyle is not right :!:

Grammar schools were meant to take the top 25% of the ability range. With the, at least 1200 for 120 places, the 9 out of 10 who don't make it, deserve some provision.

The only silver lining is that the Redbridge grammar schools will effectively become super-selectives :lol:
The good guys always win in the end - Up, up & away...
baffled

Post by baffled »

Hey guys, and thanks fat pigeon for your wise words - yes its true, we should be ourselves and try and help others as ultimately we are passing on good habits onto our beloved children. Lets hope all this training will bring about a positive change in them (like patience and competitive spirit of wanting to do better for themselves)
not long now, and starting to see some results from dd finally!! keep going guys -

take care for now
Fat pigeon

Post by Fat pigeon »

Thanks baffled :) - I'm glad that your dc is producing results, as we all know how we are especially prone to misplaced frustration in these last few months :wink:

From the Olympics, we can steady the wildly rocking ship, by utilising the idea of pacing one self in athletics long distance running. We don't have to be the leader ALL the time for the whole race, otherwise we will be exhausted mentally & physically. Not even champions can keep up that pace. The occasional dropping back, whilst avoiding excess, being sure that the conserved reserves will help one with an explosive burst, at the end! Well that's my plan :lol:
KhadijahA-R

Post by KhadijahA-R »

Well I registered finally and there are now around 3700 registered for both schools :shock: :shock:
Fat pigeon

Post by Fat pigeon »

Thanks for the heads up, as always :wink:

This chimes with what my young relation at ICHS just said I.e. he reckoned about 3000+ :shock:

This is roughly about 2.6 times as many applicants as in the past I.e. for every place instead of 5.8, there are now 15.4 children...> top 6.4% so far & decreasing > yep, super selective, alright. Can you imagine next year?

Anyway, Good luck to the guys here.
baffled

Post by baffled »

Hi there all< i actually went to the council office last week and spoke with the lady who organises the test for the borough and she was saying what a hectic time it is with so many applicants - they have not even found that many places to sit everyone in one day so will be interesting when those letters are sent out. It is good to call up and find out if the registration form is on their system to just check they have it all on their database.
take care for now folks
Fat pigeon

Post by Fat pigeon »

A good point baffled > a logistical nightmare I.e. trying to test 3700 odd candidates when they are used to 1500.

I wonder what potential solutions & problems may arise?

If they have everybody sitting at once, then they may require newer bigger unfamiliar buildings/people. This may result in weak control of paper security.

If they have staggered sittings, that may increase the likelihood of questions leaking out, imagine siblings / tuition centres.

I don't think that they can have more than one paper, as that may result in one group having harder papers. As every mark will count even more this year, can you imagine the potential appeals?

I actually a bit sorry for Lbr :lol:
Fat pigeon

Post by Fat pigeon »

I have just been told that the current application number stands at 4250 I.e. 2125 for either of the 2 gs!
Rainbow Petals

Post by Rainbow Petals »

Hi,

When I registered the reference numbers were in the 3300s... :o I've suddenly started panicking because for the evidence we directly went to Lynton house and kept a customer enquiry record. How do we know our application has been successful? I'm a bit scared now and panicking! :(
baffled

Post by baffled »

hey all and whooow!!! record breaker huh......well i have stopped being so edgy and am more relaxed on what dd gets as its not the end all and be all.

make sure to get your form signed to take on the test day!

tk cr for now