Alternative exam dates

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ToadMum

Re: Alternative exam dates

Post by ToadMum »

So how does it all work? To take the 11+ in Redbridge or for Latymer, you have to be living within defined catchment areas. So do you have tutors who recruit families living in catchment, with bright or at least tutored-up-to-the-hilt children (and preferably with an eidetic memory), who have no actual desire for a place at the school? Who then pump said children for every last detail of the test and sell the details on to families with not-so-bright DC or at least those who are willing to pay even more to a tutor who hasn't managed to get their child up to the mark so far, who have managed to swing a place on the reserve date?

Or, do the tutors / parents go on information half remembered by a random main-date candidate passed on to other DC in the playground?

Because surely, no-one who wasn't being paid for the privilege would actually allow their main-sitting child to go within a million miles of their tutor between the two dates, would they?

Seriously, I am not trying to belittle your concerns, but suspect that you may be worrying a little too much. There are all kinds of reasons why a greater percentage of a very small sample pass an exam than do a lower percentage of a very large sample. That being said, the CSSE has always (or at least as far as I know) used separate but equivalent papers for their main and reserve dates - a very good idea, I think, but every year someone will complain that their DC must somehow have been disadvantaged, whichever paper they took...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
HotCrossBun

Post by HotCrossBun »

I would have agreed with you ToadMum, until I read the Evening Standard article stating:
Redbridge council last year changed its testing system after figures suggested that using the same paper gave pupils in a later sitting an advantage. Fourteen per cent of pupils who sat the paper on the first day were successful, compared with 29 per cent the following day.
Statistically, that is a stunning difference. Something unfair was going on last year. Given how important and emotive this is for people, I think the onus is on them to show that the issue has been resolved. And they don't just need to do the right things, they need to be seen to do the right things.
Poonkymonkey

Post by Poonkymonkey »

This is what the council reply about the Evening Standard article:-
The article in the Evening Standard on 7 January 2013 suggested that Redbridge changed the 11 plus tests because of “concerns that children sitting on the second day gained higher scores”. This was not the reason for the change – a test was used that reflected genuine ability rather than coaching for the tests, which had left some children unable to cope in the grammar school environment.
I would love to agree with you ToadMum, but it's still at the back of my mind.
Shapla

Post by Shapla »

Have just spoken to an editor at The Guardian(national one, not local). She will pass it on to the Education Correspondent. I think it could be a big story if we kick up a big enough stink. But let's see what she says.

Toadmum, there is a genuine concern as people would do anything in this area to get a grammar school place..
Shapla

Post by Shapla »

Nerdydad

Good work. I still have no response
11plusfrency

Post by 11plusfrency »

Agree with you HotCrossBun

They should publish the percentage of passes from each exam - that will tell the truth. There can never be a double digit difference in passing percentage between the first sitting and second sitting. After all, they have proved it themselves from their previous year article in Guardian. If there is a difference in percentage between Saturday and Sunday test, just imagine with 10 days in between the two exams :roll:
HotCrossBun

Post by HotCrossBun »

Yes, 11plusfrequency, I wrote back to Redbridge and explained that I think they owe it the community using the school to publish both sets of numbers. I think their past performance requires it. Unfortunately, they are now in a position of rebuilding trust.
Icepop

Post by Icepop »

The following information came from another mother I'm not sure how true this is, but could anyone confirm this,

I heard that a teacher from Eastcourt independent school in Redbridge had asked all of her students that sat the elevenplus exam the questions that came up in their exam, parents obviously found out this later, this is how I found out this through parents.
I do not know what the outcome was of the teacher, as all I can think of that he/she may be privately tutoring at home like many do and could pass the details of a whole class of students... And that's a lot of questions!

I know that our children were told not to discuss, but when it's your current teacher at school a child will talk!

I'm looking forward to seeing the passing of percentages of both days too..
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

47 students. Let's make a prediction of how many will pass? I wonder what the reaction will be if it is over 30% DG
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Out of interest - to divert our minds perhaps - why has the alternative exam date for Redbridge which has the same paper as the first sitting, kicked up such a storm on the Redbridge forum, when there seems to be no issue for CCHS. both CCHS and Redbridge exams were the same paper.
I just read this on the Essex forum........
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now