Alternative exam dates

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Shapla

Re: Alternative exam dates

Post by Shapla »

Please pm me and I can give you email of Redbridge contact..
Smiley1

Post by Smiley1 »

This is shocking news and completely wrong. Parents need to get together somehow and voice their concerns. My DD took the Woodford test and her memory gets better as the days go on. She remembers a number of questions just like other parents have suggested Re their own DC. They should at least alter the questions so they still meet the expectation of a challenging exam. This is a completely unprofessional approach. This Borough doesn't seem to get it right. There have been mass complaints in the past about the way the 11+ is organised.
11plusfrency

Post by 11plusfrency »

Thank you Shapla. I am glad I started this thread. I hope Redbridge council does something to get this sorted out.

BTW Shapla, my husband has already emailed the admissions team, but it was to the common admissions email id. If anyone needs that email id, this is the one: admissionsandawards@redbridge.gov.uk
I believe it is worth getting the specific person's email id from Shapla as well as that should help.

Regarding the number of children who are likely to be taking up the exam on 24 Aug, children who couldn't take up the exam due to date clash with Kent or other county exams, I heard from my friend that her friend saw at least dozens of 'known' people from Redbridge during the Kent exam. Nevertheless, this is just 'known' people. There could be many more unknown, plus the 'illness' and 'religious reason' category children. I will say at least 50 which is more than enough for the number of children who are advantaged. I am sure it cannot be less than 50, I am possibly quoting less!

BTW, our neighbouring council, Essex, always has a 'supplementary' paper which is used for the alternative date exam. They do not use the same paper...
Reh

Post by Reh »

Hi shapla.....sending you a pm
Really disappointing to know that as many as 50 kids could potentially have known exam details....thats almost half the number of places filled!
11plusfrency

Post by 11plusfrency »

Kind request to everyone here.. can you please pass on the message.. I called Redbridge and they say they haven't received much of calls or emails on this regard. The person I spoke to said she has only had a 'couple' of calls - not too sure what it means!

Can you please send email to: admissionsandawards@redbridge.gov.uk and CALL the Redbridge council at: 020 8554 5000 (ask to be connected to admissions).

BTW, She said 100% it will be the same paper....... I do not know if calls or emails will help, but no harm in doing so? Can you also request as many friends as you can to do so?
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

I am surprised that with 13 councils sharing the paper, they could not pay a bit more for a supplementary paper and keep the exam fair for all. Latymer also used the same paper on both days.
nerdydad

Post by nerdydad »

Just had a discussion with the Redbridge Admissions and Awards Team regards this issue. They are of the opinion that if the child / parents can produce evidence that the child was attempting an exam in another place at the same time / day then they will allow the child a retest.

Whereas - The Redbridge Guidance Note on the test very clearly mentions evidence only of the following on page 4 :
- Religious practice
- Holiday booked before the test dat was published
- Death certificate, where relevant
- Ill health

I cant understand how they could now interpret that if the child takes an exam in another borough he / she is eligible to take the retest. The issue of using the same paper again aside I believe this is not correct as per thier guidance.

They have asked me to send an email to the admissionsandawards@redbridge.gov.uk address and also mentioned that they have just received 3 calls since the morning.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Students who wanted to take Latymer and Watford that were on the same day were not allowed to sit on the backup date, same for Tiffins and HBS. There needs to be one rule for all, not different for each council. DG
Shapla

Post by Shapla »

Hi all

Have been receiving lots of pm. As it was my friends private email, didn't want to put on forum. But he would only pass to the director of educations mail address anyway. So let's bypass him..

Mail:

pat.reynolds@redbridge.gov.uk

She is the director of education. You can cc in the admissions mail address too, in fact that would be better. The more complaints they get, the better. Tell your friends Redbridge, latymer and other schools had same test on same day. Crazy. And now they're using same paper for late sitting. Latymer already had on wed.

Kids are already talking. Easy to look up syn/ant. I know all that came up. Parents of late sitters already fishing. My dc worked hard and I am angry.

I'm sure you're all aware of the cheating that went on few years back. A specific tutor. I have also heard that some people have bribed too to get their dc bumped up the list waiting list. Bloomin redbridge!!
11plusfrency

Post by 11plusfrency »

Thank you Shapla for sharing the email id. I will send an email from my side as well and also get my husband to send it again to this id.

Girls are more affected because there will be these children who will be aiming for both Woodford and Chelmsford - so the girls who took the exam on 13 are really disadvantaged as they would have given the exam for both the schools and the score from these exams will be shared for both these schools.. what a shame really.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now