Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pal25

Re: anyone else Sept 2016 admissions?

Post by pal25 »

Girl

CCHS Standardised score 118.39 OOC
Redbridge standardised score is 119.16 (out of Borough but shared the infor and took the exam at CCHS)

CSSE Standardised score 346.94

Preference
1. CCHS
2. Henrietta (Waiting for 1st round result)
3. WHSG
pal25

Post by pal25 »

my DD in the top 300 for Henrietta Barnet. Any advice and experience Henrietta VS CCHS....?
floaty

Post by floaty »

i think its best to first read through each regions requirements and the recommendations from this website. Also i found free papers from examninja website to give an idea of test paper structure.

at the moment going through the first aid maths and english books and working from haydn richards for grammar.

pls keep this new group going as it will be nice to support each other and give tips along the way.

at the moment i am just thinking of WCHS as that is closest and dont really want to give to a fee paying school.

keep in touch
:)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

pal25 wrote:my DD in the top 300 for Henrietta Barnet. Any advice and experience Henrietta VS CCHS....?
Where do you live, and how easy would the journey ad to get to either school? Which one would be easier for you to get to for parents' evenings, concerts etc and at which would be easier for your DD to fully participate in the life of the school? Which did she prefer when you looked round? Academically, she should do equally well at either, but secondary school is more than a factory for having your child taught at for five hours a day.

You seem to have made the decision to put Chelmsford first, anyway, though?

Out of curiosity, do I understand from your earlier post that although you are out of catchment for Woodford, you were able to have your DD's raw score standardised with the Redbridge cohort by taking the test at CCHS and asking for it to be shared with Redbridge? (I can't see Redbridge being very happy with having to agree to that arrangement, so perhaps I have misunderstood you :lol: ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
pal25

Post by pal25 »

Hi ToadMum,
I live in Eastham. By looking at the transport options I decided to put Chelmsford as my first choice. My concern was in case if my dd doesn't get into CCHS then our next preference is HBS.

When we applied for exam we choose to sat the exam at CCHS but register with Redbridge and select to share result. To our surprise we received admission card from both CCHS and Woodford but we choose to sat at CCHS. We received CCHS result on 15th Oct then we received email from Redbridge on 16th. Even though we're given standardised score by Redbridge, they ranked my dd to the bottom of the list.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

pal25 wrote:Hi ToadMum,
I live in Eastham. By looking at the transport options I decided to put Chelmsford as my first choice. My concern was in case if my dd doesn't get into CCHS then our next preference is HBS.

When we applied for exam we choose to sat the exam at CCHS but register with Redbridge and select to share result. To our surprise we received admission card from both CCHS and Woodford but we choose to sat at CCHS. We received CCHS result on 15th Oct then we received email from Redbridge on 16th. Even though we're given standardised score by Redbridge, they ranked my dd to the bottom of the list.
That is interesting - as a by-product, so to speak, it explains how the child that someone posted about in another thread managed to sit the same exam twice on the same day (Woodford and CCHS) :shock: .One hopes that only the morning score is used for wherever is applied for in that case, though, or else something has gone wrong already with the system...

Unfortunately for you, the Redbridge system does seem to be alive and kicking and as a non-'collective catchment area' or whatever they call it resident, your DD will only be offered a place at Woodford after they have completely exhausted the IC list of girls passing. I am intrigued that they let your DD register with them to sit the exam, because my understanding is that they used not even to do that if you were not IC. Perhaps this is the result of the recent ruling against them?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
pal25

Post by pal25 »

If we want we should have done both exams too. My dd had morning at CCHS and evening at Woodford. Since it is the same test why would anyone want to take it twice.

When I register with Redbridge a warning message appeared as below

Warning: The postcode you have entered appears to be outside the common catchment area for the Redbridge grammar schools. Whilst you are welcome to submit your registration please note that no child living outside the common catchment area has been offered a place at one of these two schools within the last five years. - See more at: https://www.redbridge.gov.uk/schools/11 ... Uxl1x.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But we decided to share anyway in case if they decided to consider any out of catchment places.
my dd was given the result by Redbridge as below

Total standardised score: 119.16

that is to put her out of first 300. I wonder we are not within the 809 children took the exam at Woodford. So how can she be ranked out of 809?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

pal25 wrote:If we want we should have done both exams too. My dd had morning at CCHS and evening at Woodford. Since it is the same test why would anyone want to take it twice.

When I register with Redbridge a warning message appeared as below

Warning: The postcode you have entered appears to be outside the common catchment area for the Redbridge grammar schools. Whilst you are welcome to submit your registration please note that no child living outside the common catchment area has been offered a place at one of these two schools within the last five years. - See more at: https://www.redbridge.gov.uk/schools/11 ... Uxl1x.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But we decided to share anyway in case if they decided to consider any out of catchment places.
my dd was given the result by Redbridge as below

Total standardised score: 119.16

that is to put her out of first 300. I wonder we are not within the 809 children took the exam at Woodford. So how can she be ranked out of 809?
Mmmm... Why would anyone want to a take (or rather, put their child in for) the same exam twice? Because they think they will get full marks the second time round, having seen the paper before and had a chance to think about it? :lol: Which is precisely why CEM have stated that anyone found doing the same exam twice will have only the first result counted.

Re your DD's ranking, I assume that 809 is the total number who sat the exam at WCHS, plus those who sat at Chelmsford or Latymer who asked for their score to be shared with Redbridge and that the OOC scores are ranked after all the IC ones. As your DD's score is a good one (better than more than 84% of all scores shared, assuming a normal distribution), but her rank is only 20 from the bottom, my deduction would be that not very many OOC actually asked for their score to be shared, presumably put off by the statement from Redbridge. For what it's worth, my calculation is that she would have got a place at Woodford if you applied and all 'sharers' who applied were treated equally.
pal25

Post by pal25 »

Thanks ToadMum. Your explanation make sense.

As per CCHS letter
300 girls scores 105.41-136
300 girls scores 92.75 - 105.40
249 girls scores 63-92.74

that means 849 who sat exam at CCHS or shared information with CCHS. Hope My DD get place at CCHS.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now