travel from East London/Ilford to Colchester

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Malli

travel from East London/Ilford to Colchester

Post by Malli »

hello all
as most of you would have got your places sorted out by now.
Does anyone require transport from East London/Ilford to Colchester?
dreamfactory

Re: travel from East London/Ilford to Colchester

Post by dreamfactory »

Hello Malli, is there transport from Ilford to Colchester? My son will b taking his exam this sep and this information will help us choose the schools. I'm aware of the coach services to Kegs, Southend and West Cliff, and also a parent who takes kids to Barnet from Ilford.
gaurvartika

Post by gaurvartika »

Hi Malli, could you please share your number I would like to discuss the option for my daughter from Goodmayes to Colchester.
mad?

Post by mad? »

gaurvartika wrote:Hi Malli, could you please share your number I would like to discuss the option for my daughter from Goodmayes to Colchester.
Hi Gaurvaritka, I can't help with coaches but I just wanted to be sure that you understand that Colchester is in the far east of the country and Ilford is in London? There are (so called) fasts trains from Liverpool street but it is certainly not a journey one would want to do by road let alone in rush hour, not least because such a fixed coach timetable would prevent a child being able to participate in school life as required.
mad?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The things that make these schools the attractive places people want their DC to go to are not just the academic teaching and achievements, but the extras such as concerts, sporting activities etc which take place outside the confines of the 8.30 - 3.30 school day. The school's idea of the ideal pupil will possibly be one who gives something to the life of the school, although of course, most of these activities are voluntary and pupils are perfectly at liberty just to attend for lessons and turn round at the end of the day and go back home again to do their homework. Perhaps your DD herself just wants her secondary school to be somewhere to get a crop of stellar GCSEs and A levels and a place to read Medicine or Law at Oxbridge and genuinely has no interest in joining the chess club, trying out for a sports team or even (especially not?) hanging out in town with friends at the end of the day - probably a good thing, given the logistics of the journey to school. What most of us regard as taking full advantage of opportunities would just be an inconvenience if you have to dash away for your one and only option for getting home.

None of us is saying these things to be horrid, honest - I think what we are trying to say is, no school, however prestigious, is worth travelling such a long way,day in, day out.

To put it into context: I went to a school where the majority of pupils were full boarders. Quite few of them had a shorter journey than you are are contemplating, and that only four times a term.
Last edited by ToadMum on Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Golden_Jubilee

Post by Golden_Jubilee »

First of all, congratulations to all DCs who have put so much effort into 11+.

No offence and I know it is parental decision. Just adding my two cents here.

I am in Romford (not far from Goodmayes) and travel to London Liverpool Street everyday. Sometimes the trains are delayed and I get very anxious for getting office on-time. This is knowing my office is only 25 mins away and I won't get a late mark if I am few minutes late. This happens more during winter and if it rains. This is for trains, worse for buses...A12 is close my home and I know the horrible traffic each day. I can't imagine the state of mind of a child who may often get late due to a long journey.

Please do travel few times yourself to Colchester in the busy hours before putting your DD or DS through this painful journey for next few years.

Alternatively, please move if you can. Trust me, the feeling of delayed journey is simply horrible for a child to take in.
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

I have a DD at ColCHS and she has told me that there are several girls who do this kind of journey who simply are not coping. They're tired and not really keeping up with their work.

Please consider moving nearer.
shamim akhtar

Post by shamim akhtar »

Proudmumregardless wrote:I have a DD at ColCHS and she has told me that there are several girls who do this kind of journey who simply are not coping. They're tired and not really keeping up with their work.

Please consider moving nearer.

Although I would love to send my DD to one of these schools in Essex in next year (2018), the sheer thought of putting them through long journeys every single just puts me off. I travel to N1 from IG2 for work and lets just say it ain't fun.
MrsB

Post by MrsB »

I don't advocate this journey, particularly as there is no bus from the train station in Colchester to Colch CHS or CRGS - it only goes part way
However if it helps, at least some of the clubs are at lunchtime
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

It's 92km from Ilford to Colchester, by the way.