CEM results post here 2017

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ickster

Re: CEM results post here 2017

Post by Ickster »

@ Chris2020 my DS also scored below 104 (no tution, just a few papers), but it's not the end of the world! Does it mean that you kid can't do well at another school? Not at all! It's the child who gets the scores, not the school, if they want to do well, they will do well anywhere.

If my child scraped in and was at the bottom of the class for the whole of his high school years, I know he would be miserable. But saying that you dont know how many kids were tutored to the max and wil strugle in that environment.

Just say you did your best and that's what counts. The scores are hard to compare without a ranking so there's no fail as such. These are highly competitive schools, only the top kids will get in.

To those who passed, well done!
Bananas

Post by Bananas »

Chris mine was just above the border but I'm sure on here there will be a big bias to people who've passed. I know this year 1050 sat the test and 180 places and 240 last one to get in so would estimate about 75% don't pass the 104 mark.

If it were me I would just say something like that they did well and tried their best and you are proud of them for that. They haven't made it this time but there will be another school which will be brilliant for them.

I'm just going to tell my daughter she's passed but it may or may not be enough to get in and I don't know the rankings but if she doesn't she will go to the school her friends are going to. Think we won't be allocated it in March but may or may not get in by September.
Bananas

Post by Bananas »

1050 is an estimate, DD was told it was over 1000.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Although anyone whose DC was registered with Redbridge to get a score will have got one, I think the admission rules are still that those living in the 'common admissions area' (or whatever Redbridge call catchment) will be ranked first and OOC candidates who actually apply for a place will only be considered after all qualifying IC applicants (or, as they almost but don't quite put it exactly, when Hades takes on the general characteristics of a Polar ice cap). So my guess would be - and I may be utterly wrong here, that they have set the pass mark round about where the number of IC candidates fits the ones of places available, plus a number of 'spares' (to allow for Redbridge residents exercising their right to choose CSSE / indie / Latymer / QE etc ). Although there will inevitably ad OOC candidates in that number, they will be pushed down anyway by the actual admissions criteria if they do apply by naming either of the two schools on their CAF.

(Unless Redbridge have relaxed the admissions criteria for this year? I'm which case, ignore me completely).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Bananas

Post by Bananas »

I think you are right though not sure how many applications are ooc. Catchment area did grow as well and is large. Would be interesting to know. Only grammar we applied for an in catchment but quite a few round here also try for Chelmsford etc but we are out of catchment and unless you want your CD to travel 2 hours each day you need to move. A lot trying for privates as well and think a lot opt for private in the end but don't know if they would bother to say pre March.
nethermancer

Post by nethermancer »

According to their website no-one outside the catchment area was offered a place in the past - distance inside the catchment area is only an issue for tied results and the new scoring system of 2 decimal places effectively makes that a moot point too.
Bananas

Post by Bananas »

Heard back the 106.54 was the last offer last year on 1 March and offers continued until September.
Bananas

Post by Bananas »

386 girls got over 104. Not looking hopeful for us though depends how many are between 104 and 107.57.
Ickster

Post by Ickster »

Bananas, can I ask how you know this? Would be interested to know about Ilford County.
Thanks
Norank16

Post by Norank16 »

Well done to all the DC. They will thrive in whichever school they go to.

My dd got 109 so is borderline. Hate to think we might have to wait until September to find out the outcome! We mostly did papers at home and 0 tuition.