Woodford - Out of Catchment - urgent

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Supermum1

Woodford - Out of Catchment - urgent

Post by Supermum1 »

My DD sat the Woodford test and has managed to just scrape through with 107.02. However, we are out of catchment. When applying for the 11+ test, i emailed Redbridge Council if we could attempt the test even though we are not resident in the borough and strongly intend to move to Redbridge before September 2017; and we were told that it is fine we can sit it. Now, after the result is out i called again with a few questions and have been told i have to be resident in Redbridge by 31 October, 2016 to be even considered for a school in the borough!

Can someone please advice me if they have heard/know of a similar experience?

Thank you.
ToadMum

Re: Woodford - Out of Catchment - urgent

Post by ToadMum »

Supermum1 wrote:My DD sat the Woodford test and has managed to just scrape through with 107.02. However, we are out of catchment. When applying for the 11+ test, i emailed Redbridge Council if we could attempt the test even though we are not resident in the borough and strongly intend to move to Redbridge before September 2017; and we were told that it is fine we can sit it. Now, after the result is out i called again with a few questions and have been told i have to be resident in Redbridge by 31 October, 2016 to be even considered for a school in the borough!

Can someone please advice me if they have heard/know of a similar experience?

Thank you.
The information for parents on the Redbridge site does make it plain that although you may register to take the test from elsewhere (this seems to have been a by-product of the school becoming part of the large group using the same CEM test on the same day in September), those resident within the common catchment area will be offered places first and places will only be offered to OOC applicants should there not be enough qualified IC candidates to fill the year group. I'm afraid my paraphrasing of the situation in which this is likely to happen is 'when Hades takes on the characteristics of the Arctic Circle'. The guidance states that no OOC candidate has had to be allowed to take up a Redbridge grammar glacé for the past x years.

It should be noted that OOC candidates were previously not even allowed to sit the exam unless not all places were filled with IC, but along with the 'relaxation' of this rule came, I believe, a tweaking of the common catchment area to ensure that no resident of, say, the Borough of Southend on Sea should succeed in infiltrating one of the Redbridge grammar schools.

According to the secondary admissions guidance booklet (link from the Redbridge website http://www2.redbridge.gov.uk/cms/childr ... tions.aspx, changes of address up to December 12th may be accepted as being on time for 2017 admissions.
Last edited by ToadMum on Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Supermum1

Post by Supermum1 »

Thank you for the quick reply.

I have understood that we are out of catchment, my situation is a little different which i have brought to Redbridge Council's attention even before my DD sat the exam. All i wanted to know from them is that when is the latest date i have to move within the borough to be considered as an 'on-time application'. I wasn't pleased at all with the information they provided me on the phone.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Supermum1 wrote:Thank you for the quick reply.

I have understood that we are out of catchment, my situation is a little different which i have brought to Redbridge Council's attention even before my DD sat the exam. All i wanted to know from them is that when is the latest date i have to move within the borough to be considered as an 'on-time application'. I wasn't pleased at all with the information they provided me on the phone.
The information in the booklet says that if you move into the borough by December 12th, the new address will be used if you had already made an on-time application to a specific Redbridge school through your previous LA. My understanding of this is that if you have provided evidence of your move into Redbridge by that date, when the transfer of applicants' data to admissions authorities takes place, your application will show that you are in catchment and that is the list your DD will be ranked on by the school.

You were never going to have your application for a place at a grammar school dealt with as IC with an out of catchment address on the promise that you would move into catchment sometime between now and September - they would need proof of the new address by the relevant time. I can't see anything on the Redbridge site or the school site to say that the normal 'change of address' cut-off doesn't apply to the grammar schools.

I apologise if I have completely misunderstood what you are saying.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Chambers09

Post by Chambers09 »

Is anyone clear on exactingly what evidence is needed to prove change of address?

Conversely I may end up moving out of the catchment area even though I am currently in, not sure how the school would address this as I was in the catchment as of October and probably firmly into the new year.

My DD scored 111.40 but still wasn't convinced she'd get a place as she ranked 560 at Latymer.
another_one

Post by another_one »

Chambers09 wrote:Is anyone clear on exactingly what evidence is needed to prove change of address?
If you click the general guidance link on the eadmissions website and select Redbridge > secondary admissions it gives the following information:
Secondary admissions

Online Application Open Date: 01/09/2016 00:00
On-Time Closing Date: 31/10/2016 23:59
Publication of Outcome Online Date: 01/03/2017
Upload Supporting Documents Deadline Date: 31/10/2016 23:59
To determine residence*, at least 3 current documentary proofs are required to support your online application, and should include 3 from the following list:
•Give us your Council Tax reference number on your application, otherwise scan and upload your most recent Council Tax statement (mandatory) – or payment slip/book showing date payment made and your address;
•Tenancy agreement and a copy of the Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme coverage or other deposit protection as applies to the tenancy;
•Utility bills e.g. Electricity/gas/landline phone (within three months old), water (annual statement);
•Tax credit award notice (TC602) for the current financial year;
•UK Driving licence;
•Rent book.

Please email legible copies of the above proofs to admissionsandawards@redbridge.gov.uk clearly marked with your child’s unique Application Reference Number.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now