Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:01 pm 

Could i ask please : If a child is struggling at school due to some difficulties, and is now having some private tuition as well as in the process of getting a statement. Is it wise to let class teacher and SENCO worker know that the child is been tutored - will this hamper the efforts/obligation of the school to assist in improving the child's potential - in terms of time and effort to help the child in class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:43 pm 

It shouldn't make any difference whether the teacher knows or not. Any teacher who refuses to help a child who is being tutored should not be working in education.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:54 pm 

well it should not in my opinion as it would in the long run be helpful to the teacher and the class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:30 pm 

I tutor four low-achieving girls, the school are aware and seem quite happy about it as it increases the confidence the girls have in school. All of them are supported in school as well. I try not to duplicate what has been done in school and try to use the same methods that they have learnt there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:34 pm 

having been on both sides of the fence as class teacher and tutor I would say definitely tell them. Whenever I tutor children I ask the parent to ask the teacher what they think I should concentrate on.

If there is liaison it is far better for the child too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:41 pm 

Totally agree yoyo123 - I think it's better if the teacher knows and they can then work together

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:27 am 

well the reason, i asked, was that the tutor apparently feels that i should not have as this will hamper any help the child would have received from the school. i did think that was a strange thing to say but as i am not in the teaching profession - did not know if this was so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:07 am 

Back in yr 4 I had had enough of our primary and the lack of standards. I looked at changing primaries as a last resort but by the time I decided to do it there were no vacancies at 'good' schools.

I decided to go for private tutoring with extra support from me to try to raise my daughter's low levels in maths and reading comps. Writing was ok ish but there was still room for improvement.

I made the decision to tell my daughter's teacher what I was doing so that we could 'all work together'. School was not impressed and it has led to a battle between inside school and outside school.

Now in yr5, my daughter's levels have shot up as a clear result of outside teaching. She has improved SO much that my 'well-below average' daughter has been placed in the top sets and is working (outside of school, of course) towards her 11+.

The tutoring and other information has made me realise how low the standards are at our primary. Time and time again I have complained but the staff do not like to be questioned. I have made it clear many times that this is all for the benefit of my daughter - and in turn the school - but they still won't 'work' with me. They have made it quite clear that they think I am just meddling and I don't know what I am talking about but I know there are other parents who feel the same. So we have banded together to form a kind of underground network!

Sometimes due to time constraints my dd has a problem with homework and not being able to fit it all in. So I have told school that if they do not send homework home that is stretching my daughter then I will substitute it for her tutor homework that is actually worth doing. As you can imagine this was not one of my more popular moments!

Bearing in mind I keep saying that I'm not happy with the standard of teachers/teaching, DD had a piece of literacy marked yesterday and the comment from the teacher says it all:

" This is well wrote, you have used some interesting words and put your opinion in. "

Just one of many badly written remarks.....

Now I have had enough and am counting down the days until she leaves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:13 am 

Tracy wrote:

the comment from the teacher says it all:

" This is well wrote, you have used some interesting words and put your opinion in. "

Just one of many badly written remarks.....

Now I have had enough and am counting down the days until she leaves.

That is truly shocking.

If the teacher cannot get it right, how can the school expect your daughter to?

Then they wonder why you have issues!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:37 am 

One of the best teacher comments I saw was a handwritten note stating that "children could were there own clothes"
A yr 2 teacher in a prep school