Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:02 pm 

should i tutor my 9 years old for 11+ bucks or try tutor or is everyone who gets into grammars in private schools now .help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:11 pm 

I belive that a child who has grammar school potential should not need intensive tutoring. Having said that, the Bucks 11+ is relatively easy to DIY tutor. There are a limited number of question types so once your child understands the method you just need to practice to get the timing right. Having said that - you know your child best - if they won't take any notice of you then perhaps a third party would be beneficial.

I made sure my DS was familiar with the test as I don't think the official sessions are adequate. He mastered the methods very quickly (within one or 2 sessions) - so we spent our time getting faster. I showed him methods that would save a few precious seconds. He was not privately tutored and is at an "ordinary" primary school. He got a comfortable qualifying mark.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:21 pm 

Claire -

It varies from GS to GS - some have very few Private school pupils - as the Bucks 11+ selects the top third, many are from state schools.

I would suggest you scroll down and look in the Bucks section - do PM me or Sally- Anne of you want to know more. Primary schools vary enormously in their 11+ qualification rate - again there is some info on the Bucks section on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:00 pm 

Hi claire142

Have a look at a relevant method & technique course.

If you believe that you can tutor your child using this and other resources available then go for the home tuition route. If not choose the private tutoring route.

Either way you will need to consider some form of tuition as the provisions available in the primary schools is inadequate when you consider the extensive coaching some children receive from prep schools, private tutors and 11+ friendly primary schools.

As andyb has correctly pointed out, there is a limited number of questions in the Bucks test and they are all quite easy to teach.

A child would need to be competent in the 21 NFER question types.

Bucks set 2 VR papers and the highest scoring paper is used for the pass mark, therefore only 12-13 of the 21 question types would be taken into consideration.

The issues that most children have is in the timing of the tests and the high accuracy rate needed to complete them.

Bucks 11+ entrance tests require a raw score pass mark of around 87%. As a safety factor tutors aim for 90% accuracy on most practice papers.

Additional information: there are at least four ways of attaining a Grammar school place in Bucks:
1. An in county child sits the 11+ test and qualifies, is guaranteed a place.
2. An out-of-county child sits the 11+ test and qualifies, may be offered a place but this is not guaranteed.
3. An in county child does not achieve a qualification mark but is offered a place on appeal.
4. A child sits a 12+ test in year 7, achieves the qualfication mark and is offered a place if one is available within twelve months of sitting the test.

Regards

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:11 pm 

Mike - you know very well that no-one 'passes' in Bucks - they qualify - quite a different emphasis.

The '121' hurdle does not represent the same raw score every year ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:16 pm 

Hi Guest55

Original posting amended.

Regards

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:33 pm 

Thanks Mike-

there are still those parents that think higher scores (above 121!) are favoured during allocation

Post subject: te tutoring for 11+
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:57 pm 

thanks all for the info ,how do you find out about 11+ friendly schools as someone who at present still hasnt yet moved to bucks as selling house taking time and does this make a difference .sorry about all the questions feeling very naive about all of this and it all seems v scary!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:37 pm 

All Bucks primary schools follow the same "script" for 11+ preparation and they are not permitted to vary from it. From memory - the children get 3 familiarization sessions where they are shown how to do the 21 question types followed by 3 practice papers which are sent home for marking and that is it. I think someone posted info a while ago regarding the percentage of children at individual Bucks schools achieving qualifying marks.

Private schools, however, are not restricted to the amount of preparation they can offer their pupils - many timetable lessons in VR from year 3 onwards. So, for 11+ friendly schools you need to be looking in the private sector.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:50 pm 

Just found the links I was talking about. One has data for 2007 and the other 2008.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/viewtopic.php?t=2352&highlight=

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/viewtopic.php?p=75897

HTH