Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:05 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: how much for a tutor?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:45 pm 
My son is 9 and will be sitting test to Grammar Schools next year.
We have found the tutor who will start coming next week.
He does min 1.5 hrs and suggests that preffers two hrs.
His rate is £25/per hr. 2 hrs = £50 per week!
Is it excessive? Do you think 2 hrs are really needed?
What are the current rates in North London area?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:15 pm 
Am in Bucks and pay £22 per hour to go to a tutors house where other children are sometimes there. Some of our friends go to another local tutor and pay £20 and there are 2/3 pupils there at any one time. Hourly rate sounds ok if they are coming to the house on a one to one but I would not recommend a two hour stint at 9 years old especially on a one to one basis....one hour a week is plenty. Ask for telephone numbers of ex-pupils and check the tutor out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:28 pm 
Thanks. Than the price looks reasonable. He is checked and very demanding apparently. Still £50 sounds frightning!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:14 pm 
Current rates in North London seem to vary from £20 to £40 an hour although whether thats specific 11+ or general tuition I don't know. I would say that a tutor that comes highly recommended and has a high success rate and costs £40 is more valuable to you than a £20 tutor with no proven record or a poor pass rate (if you can afford £40 and feel unable to DIY!). So if you have found somebody good at £25 I hope it works out well.

However, I must say 2 hours sounds like quite a lot assuming its all in one sitting. Is your child good at concentrating for that long as I know mine would be shattered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:09 pm 
I think £25 an hour is a reasonable rate but I would say one hour is enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:11 am 
I do not know if he can concentrate that long. He definitely cannot do it with me, but with tutor, under pressure he might be able to do it. That's one of the reasons I decided to go for a tutor. I think with the good tutor kids will work harder than with equaly good parent.
Might be mistaken though. he starts on Monday. Will post my impressions next week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:13 pm 

Hi Moose

Might help you to know that I home tutored my daughter, sometimes we went well over 1 hour, and often towards 2 hours.

This happened either when we were covering a new area of maths that hadn't been covered at school :shock: (long story - but school geared up for May SATS, exam in November meant KS2 had to be covered at home 6 months before it was done in school) or for VR if a test pater was involved. I found the benefit of 2 hours for my daughter was that it gave me the opportunity to observe her strategy doing test papers, mark them with her immediately afterwards and work out problem areas whilst these were fresh in her mind.

Good Luck

HP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:35 am 
Ouch, expensive!

In Plymouth I am paying £15, including homework set and marked, per hour albeit for group tutoring.

I have heard that some schools in Plymouth provide tutoring in school time but not ours, just over the border in Cornwall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:04 pm 
we pay £15 an hour one to one but have to travel to the tutors...

We had a tutor last year who charged £20 per hour for home visit.

Post subject: tutor rates
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:20 pm 
As with all these things you get what you pay for-good tutor in north london is about £25 an hour.The recommended time is 1 1/2 max.Two hours is too long for both child and tutors-very few school lessons are that length for the same reason-concentration and absorbtion rates decrease drastically after 90 mins.
HOPE THIS HELPS.AND GET A RECOMMENDED NAME-TOO MANY PHONIES OUT THERE.CHECK AND ASK HOW MANY THEY ARE CURRENTLY TUTORING AND FOR WHICH SCHOOLS.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next