Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:52 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:56 am 

This is a question for anyone who is a private tutor or has engaged one. Someone suggested today that my proposed evening 11+ tuition slot of 7-8pm was a bit late...which set me thinking. If demand is for before six o'clock, then the whole idea is a non-starter unfortunately.

I'm a busy mum myself and therefore not free immediately after school, but I do know that many 10-year olds attend activities which go on into the evening, e.g. music, cubs, swimming, etc. so think my proposed timing is reasonable for that age of child. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Personally I always found Saturday mornings the best time for my own children but sadly this is not an option now.

All ideas and wisdom gratefully received!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:02 pm 

I am not a tutor nor have I ever used one...but if I was to choose a tutor I would want one earlier in the evening or at weekends.

I agree that 7pm is too late for a 9 or 10 year old child to be going out to be tutored - if they get home from school at say 3.30pm, do some homework, play, have tea, watch a bit of telly and wind down I think it's too much to expect them to be switched on and ready to start all over again at 7pm. Also, by the time they get home it would be gone 8pm then they need time to unwind after the session plus bath/shower, so bed time would get to be 9pm or later. Both my DS's are tucked up in bed by 8pm on a school night.

Not what you wanted to hear, and it's just my opinion, but I'm sure there are others that feel the same way :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:29 pm 

Thanks Andy, it's useful feedback! I suppose it all comes down to what we consider normal...we tend to do things later in our house anyway mainly because of the various activities on some evenings - cubs doesn't finish until 8.15 and gym at seven! Also, DH comes in quite late some evenings, if ours were tucked up early then they wouldn't see him much during the week.

Even if I could manage it though, I assumed that most children would be having their tea sometime between 4.30 and 6?

I could possibly manage a bit earlier, say 6 or 6.30. I suppose another issue is whether concentration levels are higher before or after eating...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:06 pm 

Hi Marylou
I agree with Andy, my DC just wouldn't be up to starting a session of tutoring at 7pm - that's the time for relaxing, winding down with TV etc, bath about 8pm and the reading in bed till about 9pm.
Our tutor came after school, either 3.30 or 4.30pm once a week, for an hour and that suited us - DC was still full of energy, though did have to forego one or two after-school events, but hey - it's not forever, and tutoring is a choice you make, or don't.
Good luck!
Mj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:29 pm 

Thanks for that Mumbojumbo, from what you and Andy say I might have to rethink my approach...though trying to find an afternoon when my own kids don't need ferrying about somewhere or other will be a challenge! :roll:

I'll still put a few feelers out locally just to assess demand...Saturdays are tricky but not completely out of the question. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:50 pm 

Hi,

I agree with the previous posts - it is a bit late. Perhaps it would work on a Friday when the pupils don't have school the next day. You would still have the problem of them having already wound down by then. Don't think plying them with really strong coffee would work!

I suppose a lot depends on the demand in your area. Elsewhere there is a thread detailing children getting up for tuition at 5am. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:46 pm 

Hi Marylou,

Talking from experience here, my ds had to have his lessons on a week day from 7-8 for a few weeks (tutor had mock exams during our regular weekend slots) and I couldn't take him earlier as I was at work. I'll have to agree with the other posters and admit that those weeks were a real challenge not just for ds but also for myself, having spent the afternoon doing homework, reading, after school activity, the last thing he wanted was to go to his tutor at that time. I was tired also after a long day at work and then off to the tutor and having to wait in the car for an hour, I'll say it wasn't the perfect arrangement for us and the only reason we stuck to it was because we knew it was only for a while.

I suppose it also depends on the child as the time might work better for him/her.

All the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:47 pm 

my most popular time slots are 4-5 on a weekday, time to get back from school, have a drink and then settle down, 5-6 also quite popular.
I have done Saturday mornings at 9-10 and 10-11 with a boy who had lots of other club, sports and music commitments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:42 pm 

I think that after 7 is late, but you know your son. I certainly wouldn't recommend this time on a Thursday or a Friday as you will want him to be as fresh as possible. Tired children benefit very little and I find that 10 year olds are less responsive on a Friday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:19 pm 
I find this time fine for my GCSE students but would not suggest it for younger children.

I find after school (any time between 4pm and 7pm) fine for my state school pupils but doesn't tend to suit ones at independent primaries as they usually have a longer and more intense day. These I see at the weekend.

To get the full benefit of one to one tuition, the child cannot afford to be tired.