Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Advice needed
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:07 pm 

I have only one child and she is in year 5. she has fallen in love with non such and has said she will work hard to get in there. I need advice and tips on how to prepare her for the exams.

Can I do it at home or do I need a tutor? How much does a tutor charge?

Please share your experience with me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:33 pm 

If you have a look around on this forum you will find many differant posts regarding coaching/tutoring your child for the 11 plus. From what i have read I would say it is only you who can decide what is best for your child. You need to gage what level she is working at - or was working at at the end of year 4 and take it from there. If your child likes to work with you and you are happy to prepare work for her then I feel this is the best option, and is what I did with my child for 9 months to a year before the test. However, if you both would prefer a tutor, and can afford it, many go down that route succesfully. People on this forum could probably recommend a tutor to you if you post your region. Hope some of this helps :D

Post subject: Nonsuch tuition
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:03 am 

Hello
Have sent you a Pm message regarding tutoring for Nonsuch.

Post subject: thanks a lot
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:26 am 

tiredmum wrote:
If you have a look around on this forum you will find many differant posts regarding coaching/tutoring your child for the 11 plus. From what i have read I would say it is only you who can decide what is best for your child. You need to gage what level she is working at - or was working at at the end of year 4 and take it from there. If your child likes to work with you and you are happy to prepare work for her then I feel this is the best option, and is what I did with my child for 9 months to a year before the test. However, if you both would prefer a tutor, and can afford it, many go down that route succesfully. People on this forum could probably recommend a tutor to you if you post your region. Hope some of this helps :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:56 pm 

You have passed the first test already Amen, your dd wants to go there and is prepared to work hard to get there. That is a situation many parents can only dream of. Wanting it badly is not enough but it is a very good first step. Finding out what level your dd is at is an important next step because then you can guage how much work you need to do to get to the required level. What were her end of year Sats levels? What is her target for the end of this year? Have you tried doing any VR or non VR with her. You need to find out where her strengths and weaknesses lie. Does the school sell or give out any test papers?

Post subject: Tried and tested Tutor
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:32 am 

Can anyone please let me know of any tutors that has been tried and tested in preparing your child for the non such and walington exams and the independent school scholarship exams. preferred area is south East london e.g Sutton, Streatham, wandsworth etc

Thanks
Amen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:23 pm 

Can anyone who can help amen with a tutor reply by PM please.

You may do well with posting on the Surrey section too as there are plenty of people there looking at the same schools as you. :D