Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Visit from Tutor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:57 am 

My dd is currently in year 4, but needs help with her english in particular, and we also need to prepare her for indies, and grammar exams, l am thinking of getting a tutor 1 to 1 for her. she attends a group class at the moment, which to me is like being in a class. Anyway, the man is coming to see me at home,l would like to know the sort of questions to ask, l want him to concentrate mainly with her english. Another question please, if a tutor has a degree in English does it mean he or she would be good with teaching the subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:03 am 

No - teaching is a skill in itself. Knowledge of the subject doesn't mean that you necessarily have the ability to teach it to others. I would be asking about his qualifications and experience for starters. I would also be looking for recommendations from others

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:04 am 

First you need to be sure from a safety point of view.
Is this a personal recommendation - does he currently teach at a school?
If not then you need to get some references!
CRB check is a tricky one but I would never be out of earshot/ door open etc anyway.
As to teaching I would say that an English degree is no guarantee & few primary school teachers will have one!
More important to find out what experience he has in tutoring & what his approach is.
I would hold back on telling him too much about your child & get him to do an assessment & see if what he says shows understanding of their strengths & weaknesses. Not that he can be expected to figure out everything in one session! but you need to be on the same wavelength.
Its then a case of giving it a go & see how the two of them get on - different tutors can work with different children (just like in school) and with a young child they do need to enjoy the sessions.

If you find a good tutor then the child's confidence should show signs of improvement pretty quickly - and hopefully 'performance' will follow :)

Hope it goes well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:16 am 

definitely ask what form the lessons will take.

how do they engage with the child, a good personal relationship between tutor and pupil is important of it is going to be one to one.

Will they set homework? do you have to pay for any additional materials eg workbooks.

a degree in a subject definitely does not guarantee that they can teach the subject well.

(btw it is true that not all primary teachers have English degrees, some have Chemistry , French, Geography and History degrees --just taking a cross section from my colleagues :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:19 pm 

I know nothing about tutors here. My wife and I teach our DS by ourself.
I look after Maths, VR & NVR and leave English for her.

Which area does your DD have a problem with Reading Comprehension, Spelling, Grammar, or Punctuation? For the last 3 areas, please try the book called "Usborne Guide to Better English: Grammar, Spelling and Punctuation (Better English) £9.99"

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... D18%23b258

I bought it for my DS and he quite like it. He read it again and again. When he tried Nfer paper, he could tell me why his answer was wrong based on that book.

For reading comprehension you will need other books and to me it is very difficult to get a good one here. May be most authors think DC are british and know how to read English. For my DS, we are lucky that when we went back to our home country I found some good books in this area.