Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tuition contracts
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:10 am 

Could anyone advise me whether they have formal contracts with the parents of their pupils? I have always worked on a pay-as-you-go system, but have been advised that it would be a good idea to draw up contracts. Having had some bad experiences this last year with pupils just not turning up, I can't decide whether this is a good idea or not.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:48 pm 
We started our business ten years ago and worked on a pay-as-you-go basis because we were teaching the children directly.
However, as our business grew and we started employing tutors we introduced a charge of half the tuition fee for missed sessions. Some parents just ignored the charge and some paid depending on which centre they attended.
With regard to your question, we make it clear to all parents at the first contact that we charge full fees for missed sessions and require two weeks notice when the student leaves. We ask parents to pay two sessions in advance so that they do not leave without paying. We make allowances for serious illnesses, bereavement and other issues that for student privacy I will not discuss. We ask parents to sign an agreement to our terms and conditions before the child commences tuition.
Our fees are currently £18 per student per hour, we guarantee not to increase our fees whilst the student stays with us. Some students have been coming to us for over seven years so therefore pay £12.50 per hour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:15 am 

Thanks for your comments. It helps me to get an idea of what is acceptable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:19 am 
Do you think it is necessary to have a tutor to pass the exam? :?

My daughter has never had any tuition. I always help her with her education myself, but i had never seen an 11 plus paper until last week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:24 pm 
As a tutor, I would be expected to say yes. But there are so many factors that need to be considered that sometimes depending on the individual child, their schooling, home environment etc. That the answer could be no.

We currently have students on our books who are being prepared for 11+ entrance tests in the Wirral. 2 VR papers 80 questions in 50 minutes.

Of these students I would estimate that ten students probably don't need tuition, they come to us for the peace of mind of the parents.

The majority of students require some tuition of some kind, whether that is from a parent, friend or tutor, because verbal reasoning does not appear on the school curriculum.

We have the unusual position of some parents being teachers who could tutor their own child. However, they prefer to maintain the parent/child relationship at home. We also have a good reputation in the area for the way that we prepare the children.

I have been collecting data over the last four weeks based on a student group attending one session were they complete a paper and one session were the paper is reviewed and advice given.

In week one 65% of students attained a score of 75% or more, in week four it was 84%. 65% have attained a score of 80% or more.

We also have students who only attend a one hour session, however although the data is available I have not analysed it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:09 pm 
Thank you very muich.

That is strange; my daughter is in Wirral!

She got 72% on her first paper (out of 100 questions, no multiple choice answer sheet. She got 92% the 2nd week, but it was a little easier.
Just waiting for this weeks now. She didnt do 8 questions though, as she ran out of time. She said it was the hardest one yet.

I have always helped her and encouraged her. (She is very bright)

I am often of the opinion that if they need to be tutored then they may struggle when they get to grammar school.

can I ask if you know anything of the Upton hall exam as I want her to go there really, and so does she.

Thanks a bundle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:10 pm 
Oops! :oops:
And I can spell, I just can't type! (much :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:05 pm 
We believe that the Upton Hall entrance test is the same as the Wirral 11+, if you check with the school they will advise you of the format of the test and possibly refer you to or provide you with preparation papers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:02 pm 
Thank you.
I have e mailed them to no avail, and am going to call in on Wednesday if I have not heard from them.
I was very impressed with the school at the open evening, and both my daughter and I preferred Upton to West Kirby Grammar.
It is also a lot nearer and she could still walk to school with my son and me, as they are both currently at Overchurch.

We are not catholic so she needs to score well, really, as if only so many places are available to non catholics, they are given in order of merit.

I was told by the head it was a VR paper, but other people have told me otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:44 am 
Don't assume that entrance to non-catholics is based on order of merit.

Generally, Wirral LEA does not differentiate between a low pass and a high pass. Irrelevant of the pass score, the further you are away from the school the less likely you are to get in. I believe their first selection criteria is whether a sibling goes to the school.

The school should provide you with a parent pack stating their entrance criteria, Wirral LEA also provide parent packs, available from their offices or as PDF download from their website. Try phoning, instead of e-mailing, some people still live in the dark ages!