Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:09 pm 

What added value can a tutor offer?

I ask as DS will soon (Nov) be taking the Wandsworth test which is the 11+ in all but name. We have always been told by teachers that he is very bright and recently had this confirmed by an IQ test (which was done by NHS for reasons other than education) but still I worry that if we don't get a tutor he will be disadvantaged. We can't afford a tutor at the moment and so will rely on familarisation booklets but is this enough? Should our fortunes change should we recruit a tutor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:16 pm 

We found that the difference between a tutor and us was exactly that, she wasn't his parent! No, that's not flippant but DS would work for tutor in a way that he would never contemplate for us his DP (new abbrev there) and am pretty certain that he never threw himself on her sofa with histrionics about how hard it all was!!!!!!!

Joking aside, she also gave him a huge amount of confidence, having an unrelated person tell you that you are great and can do something does wonders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:45 pm 

I agree, although different children are, well, different. They WOULD take it from me, towards the end but def saying "Mrs D won't be very happy with that..." has a lot more clout than "I'm not very happy..."
The thing about doing it yourself is that if YOU get sussed, you can slide things in in an ad hoc way, rather than a more formal hour.
However, we were lucky, so lucky, that our tutor (group) was only a fiver an hour. Had it been more than that it would have been just me :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:23 pm 

I didn't use tutors - then again I didn't tutor myself.
Was fortunate in that the kids has prep in school and I relied on that.

If they hadn't that then I think I would have got a tutor for the simple reason that I haven't got a clue how to teach kids - that is why we have teachers / tutors who know this..
I have taught undergrads and postgrads but that is factual stuff not techniques etc.

Also I find explaining something I find easy (eg reasoning) to people who can't understand it a very difficult thing to do.. I am always impressed by the techniques people use to get round this with kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:05 pm 

If you're able and disciplined, then the tutor probably couldn't offer you anything extra.

However, I'm not, and find it alot easier to drive to the tutor each week, then spending the time at home covering the same stuff. Also, having younger siblings makes it harder to spend that time alone to do the work at home.

Also, I agree with many of the above earlier comments. My DS certainly responds to his tutor more than me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:13 pm 

Dros- My ds has done the Wandsworth test this year.

I do not think you should worry about your ds being somehow disadvantaged for not having a tutor.

If he is familiar with all the different types of questions (the wands. test is nfer based),then he will be more comfortable and confident.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:18 pm 

Thanks everyone. I must admit I thought the focus a tutor would bring would be the advantage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:36 pm 

Good luck and we will support you virtually!

Download the booklet from this site on how to do VR, work through one type at a time with plenty of examples. There are other sites with free examples. The Pates website has examples of VR, although they are not entirely the same.

Ask for help on here whenever you need some. Come and scream here when your DS is just too "stupid" to understand.

We have all been there. The biggest disadvantage as a parent is that we know what our children are capable of, so when they do not live up to our expectations we get cross and frustrated with them. As our children they know exactly how far they can push us, especially if they are feeling insecure.

I tutor and had my own DC. I gave mine resources but could not teach my daughter who for a very clever girl just seemed to be stupid whenever I tried to teach her. With other people's children I find it easy to be patient, kind, encouraging and give the children the confidence to succeed. As a parent I fail in all of these categories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:38 pm 

I am tutoring my DD for slightly odd reason

I am kind of a control freak and really want to know exactly where my DD is. I read a few horror stories here of people who went into panic mode just a few months before the exams when they discovered they had a rubbish tutor or some tutors who would just give practice papers and nothing extra. That really scared me and it seems there are more bad tutors than good ones. If you know of any good ones and have recomendation then thats great. In my case I didnt know any so I just bite the bullet and did it. Its been challenging coz I have gone back to do the 11plus papers and I have a baby in the house

Without this forum I wouldnt have dared do it because even getting the correct material is challenging and I nearly cried when I saw the NVR and thought what I am I trying to do, I just cant do it but with the great help from this forum you can certainly do it. Some of the question I get stuck on I post in the relevant forum and you get amazing and very detailed replies and useful tips.

I will know in November if all my effort has paid off but you are not alone going the DIY route. DD would moan when we started doing it but now she just gets on with it. She has realised fighting with me isnt going to help, it will just take longer to get things done. I must admit though that because I have gone done the DIY route I am doing quite a bit more with DD because I kind of feel I dont have an magic, knowledge, short cut tips the tutors who have been doing it for years may have

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:24 pm 

The little bit I have done has got me thinking - I can't even do this so how can I expect my ds to.

Thanks for the support already.