Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:58 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:45 pm 

Can anyone recommend a tutor in these areas?

We live near Turnpike Lane underground and so far I've been doing a bit of home tutoring (approx. 3 hrs a week) and DD is responding well so far. We are applying to St Michael's (1st choice) and also Latymer, and would like to do a bit of more intensive work late summer. I'm sure that tutors get fairly heavily booked by then, so would like to try to provisionally arrange or request something in advance. Obviously we would consider further afield, but wondered if local was an option!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:23 pm 

Hi

I am wondering if you managed to find a tutor in the end or if you self taught for the whole process. I am new to this site but from what I have gleaned you and your child were successful-Well Done! I am living in the same area as you and have so far not had much luck with finding a suitable tutor, one had never hear of non VR before, and the other doesnt seem to have much knowledge about the 11+. I too am tutoring my son for about 3 hours a week, it's going o.k. but I feel like we need a bit of extra support.

Any suggestions would be warmly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:21 pm 

Hi Precious and welcome :D

We tutored her ourselves in the end, which was actually really enjoyable and gave us a clear sense of how things were progressing. I must say that we spent quite a bit on learning materials, especially the English comprehension/composition books as that was her weakest area, and filled 2 smallish plastic crates with them after the tests (ready for dd2). DP worked through the English books on Saturdays, and I covered the NVR and VR during the week. We shared the Maths between us. Are you applying to any other selectives or just Latymer? If it's only Latymer you will only be required to cover the three subjects.

The big challenge is getting to R2 as 1700+ applicants are reduced to 500+ by the NVR. That test is in 4 x 20 sections with 10 minutes for each section. Once you are through to R2 the chance of a place is almost 1 in 2 :D We bought all the 'how to do' books on NVR and worked through them, but ignored cube-nets which aren't in the GL/Nfer tests. We then worked through the 10 minute and assessment tests, building up to the proper tests and strict timing. By late summer we made dd complete them in time, then with 5 minutes to spare, and mark questions which were tricky for the end. I liked the IPS ones, which did have a couple of mistakes, but were very close to the real thing according to dd, who claimed that 2 questions in the Latymer were identical to IPS ones already tested. The NVR scores of the 2nd round children are re-standardised in round 2, so the higher the mark in R1 the better, as by R2 73/80 could be 90/140 and 78/80 could be 140. Five marks could turn into 50 points!

What books/printouts are you using? Do you have the Latymer past papers in Maths? It's a bit early for actual tests, but they are a good window into the style and subjects covered. I think that their test is very tricky, and as I've said before the closest papers I've found are Habs ones. You will need to cover Y6 maths by November to do well in the Maths. The average score in the test is under 30/50. We aimed at the mid 40's, and dd scored 44-46/50 leading up to the test and 43 in the test.

I hope that helps.....I found this forum fantastic for help and support. Remember to post/check the individual subject area forums too...I can't recomment the hepful advice there enough.

Good luck and get ready for an emotional rollercoaster ride!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:02 pm 

Hi,

This site does indeed seem a very welcoming one and a big thank-you to all the useful info you have sent. :D

Well in the main I am using the Bond Assessment papers as well as the Bond How to do guides. We are also using various WHSmith and Schofield and Simms books. I think I may be filling up about 10 crates worth of books the rate I am going! I seem to be purchasing a lot of books, some better than others. I recently found an excellent book to help my child with comprehension, not sure of the rules and if I am allowed to mention it? I am however struggling to find a book to help with writing, I have a few , but none I'm entirely happy with, would you possibly have any suggestions? I find preparing for the writing quite overwhelming, well the whole process seems quite daunting to be honest. But with writing I am not sure whether to focus mainly on essay styles or to look at all genres of writing, again any tips would be appreciated.
I quite like self tutoring, except I worry that I may not be quite up to the job. Having now looked at past papers, I have to admit there are some things I cant do myself, which obviously means I won't be able to teach them to my child. I'm wondering if it's only the super clever parents who tutor or if 'normal' parents like me can still do it. Hope Im not sounding rude!

Thank-you once again.