Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: How much and how often?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:03 pm 

How much do you pay for a tutor for your child? And how often do you see them? Is once a week enough?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:33 pm 

My dd went to 2 different tutors.

1st was £26 once a week, group of 4 or 5, 80 mins. Minimal easy homework.

2nd was £10, once a week, 60 mins. Fair amount of hard homework.

Wasn't happy with the first one, various reasons, so I pulled her out.

2nd one was a diamond. Wish dd could have gone twice a week (she did when other kids were ill and she took their places) and also wish that the tutor was available to us for the whole of yr4 as well to make sure that general maths was up to scratch. Sadly she wasn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:01 pm 

My DD was successful in 2009's Kent assessment and has secured a place in our first choice school.
We were not led to believe by the primary school that she would be suitable for 11+ and she was behind in her KS Maths. So at the beginning of yr five we started looking for a tutor and was shocked to realise that most were full, however, we found one who was excellent and was connected to local education and had good Knowledge regarding the local test requirements, (expensive though £32 ph). Within six months of one hour weekly tutoring and with support from us at home, the dynamic changed and she gained in confidence hugely moving up four subsets in one year which was equivalent to two years' learning. It was a confidence issue as she obviously had the innate ability, she just did not believe in herself.

My only word of warning is that she did become a bit complacent towards the exam, she had been told she was able and should pass and that was enough for her- she's not exactly driven! The extended summer holiday last year didn't help either as she simply wouldn't work for us- especially on holiday, ( she can be lazy...). She did exhibit signs of stress though as the exams were only two weeks after the return to school, so I think consistency is key.

Good luck and relax! Not easy I know :D

Mother night