Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: What am I paying for ?
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:08 pm 

Basically once a fortnight at the moment I've been paying for a tutor to go through papers (which I was expected to provide and pay for), tutor marked them and then they went over her mistakes.

Is that normal, is that it for £20 an hour or am I missing something marvelous and magical that happens nearer the time ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:41 pm 

My tutor does alot more than this. She has shown my DS the various different NVR and NV methods, improved his maths techniques, and generally helped where needed. Its only recently that she has given him timed papers. My tutor provides all resources for the lesson and for homework.

Although the general focus of the sessions since September have been the 11+, my DS has benefitted much more than this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:53 pm 

£20 an hour is cheap for 121. Even so, you should expect the tutor to teach DC skills and techniques. Exam papers are best done as homework and go over errors in lesson time. I would suspect that your tutor either lacks knowledge about 11+ or is just trying to have an easy life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:15 pm 

I think to a certain extent it depends what you mean by 'went over her mistakes'. Does the tutor use this time to explain techniques, examine ways of reaching the correct answer and approaches to the different question types that your daughter may encounter? Or does she simply provide the answer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:33 pm 

The first time I took a DC through 11+ I worked through past papers as that was all I had and all I knew at the time - DC did not pass 11+
The second time I took a DC through 11+ I did 50% past papers and 50% teaching techniques, knowledge and skills - and DC passed 11+.
Currently doing third time through 11+ and DC is doing 90% teaching knowledge, skills and techniques and 10% past papers. Will introduce more past papers in July- I have a huge stack to go through. Fully expecting DC3 to pass with flying colours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:43 pm 

It all depends if the tutor is using the papers as active learning material.

There is nothing specifically wrong with using practice papers in that way, but I would be happier to see them teaching the solving techniques for questions by type first and then using practice papers purely as a further question bank for reinforcing the technique and looking for variations.

I would not want to see a tutor leaving the child to just work through a practice paper independently and then "just correcting the mistakes" more than once every few months. Even when that does happen the purpose should be to get a really good picture of the timing at each stage of the test, and the child's technique, and that needs very close observation.

I would also expect to see some basic reinforcement of maths and a fair bit of vocab being taught, depending on the subjects in the 11+ tests.

£20 an hour is the going rate for 1-2-1 around here - the rate varies tremendously around the country.

I think you should be asking questions ...

S-A

Edit: Pink - have just noticed that you are in Wirral. You should definitely be asking questions if it is 21 types of VR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:44 pm 

Not sure if this helps but I have given you what I provide for the same fee.

I also charge £20 per hour. I provide materials, mostly written by me. I recommend other materials for extra work, parents buy these. I set papers as homework (3 per week at the moment) and work on technique in lessons. I expect parents to mark papers and go through errors with their children. That way the lesson is entirely focussed on areas that are problematic or new material.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:52 pm 

With ref to the above post, I think the whole post should be deleted, not just the specific name of the site.

You wouldn't have to be a genius to find it from the inferences here, and as such the post post is just cynical advertising! I found one advertising these features on my first attempt. Not that it fitted the requirements of the test in these parts, of course!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:35 pm 

As there have now been three separate posts promoting the same site, the above-mentioned post (in between Moved and ian35mm) has been removed in its entirety!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:23 pm 

:D