Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:09 pm 
Hi, what an informative forum!!!!
My child will be sitting the 11+ in Oct 2007. I've started looking around for books and possibly a tutor. Not sure whether I'd be able to coach myself. I think my child is likely to listen and learn more from an experienced tutor. Does anyone on this forum live in the Flackwell/Marlow area that can suggest a tutor??
Many thanks
Martina

Post subject: Personal experience
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:53 pm 
I tutored my child myself in an area local to you, having started with a tutor who bored my daughter, and then did several sessions of babysitting. All the good tutors in my area are booked up by about year 3...

I assume you are Bucks. If you choose to tutor yourself, the AFN papers are a good starting point (multiple choice for Bucks), but beware that they are much easier than the real eleven plus. Move on to IPS, and then do the Bright Sparks series. The NFER papers don't cover all of the question types, so don't rely on them alone. Don't go near Bond papers; they aren't appropriate.

Mental maths speed is critical for the Bucks 11+. Practise, practise, practise. Make sure your child can do things like 56/14 (56/7=8, therefore 56/14=4). And of course, vocabulary. Local tutors use the New First Aid in English.

Don't get too hung up on speed too early. Build technique. If you do enough questions yourself, you'll work out the techniques. My daughter only achieved any reasonable speed during the summer holidays, and a mum I bumped into said her very successful Gerrards Cross tutor only started to work on speed in the summer. You may prefer to have the summer off, though.

Good luck.

Y

Post subject: DIY for 11+ BUCKS
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:41 am 
guest Y is right. iam am tutoring my child myself. it not the question of money honestly as i can easily afford to send him for tution but i think there is no need for it at the moment. i will be honest with you i have given his name to a local tutor but he is going to start with her in JULY just to understand things more clearly .(i hope :? ). i will see if he is ok with speed and understandig then i might not send him at all. to be honest i am thick to understand few of these techniques and nobody can be worse than me to explain those but i am very hopeful we'll win it. we just started working on 11+. not really with tests but just few qestions (5-10 from IPS) to practice everyday+ 2/3 times per week proper reading (loud)+ 2/3 new words every MORNING from reading books or word list which is available from this site to print or download and atl ast but not least i have to be very strict with my little one (oh 3 1/2 yrs old) who is very handful, sporty,hates, TV+ books+pencils ect. & loves football, cricket bat ect. (even in the house). so i have to wake up at 6.30, my elder one 6.45, after a bit of stretching and mouning about waking early study starts at 7.00. i try to time everything he does. if he got sometime by 8.00am he does some extra maths for SATs in MAY, and then he loves to play with his WAR HAMMERS for about 15-20 mnts then ready to go to school happily by 8.40 (beleive me all of this goes very smoothly and there is no rush+ high blood pressure ect. situation),in fact he is enjoying it now. anyways he is in year 5 and he is going to sit for BUCKS's in SEP/OCT 07. and remember just relax we still have got about 8/9 months. so if we do it with routine and decipline we will be the winners. i have learnt it after a month or so of agony, stress,worry,anger ect. ect. but believe me i am really relaxed and well organised now. just make sure you have got all the materil handy when you start this project and gradually increase the speed and load of work. hopefully it will help. thanx for reading

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:36 pm 
The words on the actual eleven plus are more harder than the NFER word list from this site.

My daugther struggled on the vocabulary and some of the words she asked about I didn't even know and had to look up via a thesaurus.

The word list from this website is useful for starting but your child should probably know 90% of these already.

My opinion others may disagree.

Darren

Post subject: tuition
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:43 pm 

Hi Martina

Don't beat yourself up about no tutoring yourself as lots of people on this forum have had thier children tutored and there are some very good tutors around.

I myself tutord my son until the September before the test I then sent him to a tutor in Marlow to see what they thought and it was great because it was an outsider telling us thier opinion and he did tests in timed conditions in a classroom type environment.

If you are registered on this forum I will send you a personal message and tell you of the tutor. I also know somone who used this tutor for thier son who passed this year and rates then very high.

Mel X

Post subject: Tutors in Marlow
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:58 pm 
Hi

I was rather shocked this morning when I rang a recommended tutor to enquire about 11+ tutoring and was told I was 50th in the waiting list so unlikely to get a place. My daughter is 6 !!!!

Does anyone know of any other tutors in the Marlow area.

thanks
Gayle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:30 pm 

Hi Gayle

It is against Forum rules to post the names of tutors directly on the site. If you are hoping for a reply then you will need to register on the Forum (it takes 2 minutes, and you won't get any spam as a result).

If anyone has a recommendation they can then send you a PM. I suggest that when you register you ask for email alerts for any PMs that you receive.

Do also consider the possibility of DIY coaching - there is a wealth of advice on the Forum and a number of success stories that prove it does work. And if your daughter is only 6, you have plenty of time!

Sally-Anne

Post subject: Re: Tutors in Marlow
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:26 pm 

Gayle Keenan wrote:
Hi

I was rather shocked this morning when I rang a recommended tutor to enquire about 11+ tutoring and was told I was 50th in the waiting list so unlikely to get a place. My daughter is 6 !!!!

Does anyone know of any other tutors in the Marlow area.

thanks
Gayle

Your daughter is 6 years old or in year 6? If she is only 6 years old, don't you think it is too early to tutor her for 11+? I help my son to do all the preparation for 11+ from just one year before he did the real test, and we believe it is enough. My son has done very well without any external tutor's help. He has passed all the exams in King Edward VI Chelmsford, Tiffin boys (11 marks more than the cut off mark), Wilson's school, Kent's 11+ with full mark (420), and walington grammar school. Five of his classmates with similar ability had got external tutors for a year, and only one of them passed with the minimum marks. all the rest did not get any offer from any grammer school. Maybe they chose wrong tutors? I do feel sorry for them and their parents for their effort and money spent because they all have similar ability as my son! Therefore, I don't think an external tutor can do better than you if you have got right information, right materials, such as NFER paper, BOND paper, etc, and other useful books. I think the E-papers and cds from this forum will be good too although we did not use it because it was too late for us to use when they were available. So, I suggest you don't do it too early, because it is such a painful period for your kid. one year in advance is certainly enough. And trust your kid and yourself. Particularly, NVR and VR can not be taught to very high level though practices do help but are very limited.
If you have got everything ready but your kid still can't do it, then, that's it. I don't think the external tutor can make very big difference if your kid can't make it with your effort! Also there are quite a few very good tutors (you can find their names from other posts in this forum) who are really generous enough to offer free help. Search the forum, you can find many sucessful kids with help only from their parents. Believe me, you as parent armed with this forum and other useful stuff, is the best tutor who can give the most to your kid. You can help them at any time when he/she needs, no any tutor can do as much as you can. So, forget the tutor, DIY!

Post subject: 11+ tution
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:17 am 
Can Y guest help me with a tutor name in Gerrards cross.I live in a Gerrards Cross and looking for a tutor for my girl or you could email me on ******************

DEAR "JOE"

PLEASE DO NOT DISTRIBUTE YOUR E-MAIL ON PUBLIC FORUMS. SUGGEST THAT YOU REGISTER AS A MEMBER AND ANYONE WHO WANTS TO SHARE INFORMATION WITH YOU CAN DO SO BY SENDING YOU A PRIVATE MESSAGE (PM) DIRECTLY VIA THE FORUM.

FORUM ADMIN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:23 pm 

Unfortunately, I don't know any tutors in GX - the reference to GX was literally through someone I met at a swimming pool who was herself using a tutor in GX, but we never discussed names. So a PM won't get you any more info!